Are the holidays too contrived-I'm tired of the perfunctory 'family' get together/dinner at this point.

Our family members, in the last 5 years or so, have opted to go to a buffet restaurant than someone's home. That way, there is no fuss and clean-up afterward. Everyone pays their share.
We did that last year and it was great. It takes the pressure off everyone. There was about 20 of us.

If they didn't bother to call or come see us all year long- no sense in coming on the holiday.
One year we had shrimp gumbo for Cmas and this year we will have a Mexician fiesta Xmas😁. Very very low key😉

i know what you mean about coming over 2x a year ---thanksgiving and christmas--that is so they wont have to cook-and then at christmas they are on the phones looking for after christmas sales

I was getting very tired hosting the holiday get together, I had been doing it for over 40 years. Less and less of us around the table didn't make it any easier and the memories just made it harder. Then, just like magic my daughter married,took over the holiday dinners and gave me two grandsons.

It was like a rebirth of Christmas for me. New family members, kids to play with and my daughter going crazy in the kitchen just like I did for the last 40 years. I help when needed but mostly sit back and enjoy. I still remember the past holidays but I don't dwell on them to the point that I get depressed over it.

As far as gifts, I've tried many times to eliminate all but the immediate family. They don't want to do it. They say, just a little something. A little something is just as hard to find as a big something. None of us need anything. So, I make or buy goodies. They give me my goodies,I give them their goodies and so it goes. The important thing is that we are all together for another holiday.

No big deal here. I listen to some Christmas music & put out a few lights but no tree & no presents. Don't go shopping for junk that will end up in land fills. On Christmas eve we go over to wife's niece for dinner. On Christmas day we will sit around & watch Gunsmoke, The Twilight Zone & some great British shows we get on ROKU (Acorn & BritBox). Life is good if you can escape the "rat race". I learned many years ago that if you win the rat race, hey, your still a rat. LOL At my age, I know, that when I "kick the bucket", I will take nothing with me. You might be different. Good luck!

Image result for rat race images

Back