Are we the only people who spend entire vacations hiking?

retiredtraveler

Just wondering if there are any 'serious' hikers on this forum. We're in our 70's, but we still do 2-3 week trips, primarily in NP's in U.S. Canada, UK, and Switzerland where we hike roughly 6-12 miles a day with elevation gain/loss up to 3000 feet. We visit some cities, but our emphasis for 50 years is to commute to a trailhead and hike every day, weather permitting. It seems that w4e find Europeans are up to this. We've hiked with Dutch, German, Australian, French who spend most days hiking. But we just don't find Americans are up to this. Not sure about Brits. We're going to England in a few weeks and after 5 days in London, will hike the fells for 2 weeks in the Lake District. Anyone else up for physcial exercise on trips? We'll never go on a cruise --- would be bored within an hour.

I know a lot of people whose vacation consists mostlyof hiking. There is nothing wrong with that.

My only problem with doing mostly hiking is the same one I have with people who mostly visit museums. It's possible to visit a great city and never see it if one spends all their time in museums (or shopping or in restaurants). So, you can miss getting the culture of an area if you spend all your time hiking.

I like to do many other things, such as attend concerts, go to a religous service, visit the non tourist city attractions, etc. etc. etc. And, yes, I will hike and visit museums also. It's all part of experiencing the Spirit of Place.

Last edited:
Brookswood expressed what I have started to feel a bit. I had three friends that felt compelled to do a rim to rim to rim in the grand canyon….every year for fifteen years straight. I have walked across the grand canyon twenty six times…i am over that. Much as i tried i could not get my friends to deviate from the plan…

I have been a hiker pretty well all my life. Still love being out there with "Mama" Nature. Unfortunately where I live most of the folks hike from their chair to the fridge for more beer!

Attachments

• Cug-a- lug.jpg
    Cug-a- lug.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0
  • Happy Weekender.jpg
    Happy Weekender.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
Brookswood expressed what I have started to feel a bit. I had three friends that felt compelled to do a rim to rim to rim in the grand canyon….every year for fifteen years straight. I have walked across the grand canyon twenty six times…i am over that. Much as i tried i could not get my friends to deviate from the plan…
Brutal. I've only done the Tanner Trail down and up, once. 26 times......really??? ;)

The area I'm in is overwhelmed w hikers and mtn bikers, both locals and tourists, the vast majority are Americans.

I restrict my hiking these days to pursue game birds or big game.

Back