Are You a Chicken at the Dentist?

When I was a lad, going to the dentist was really scary and painful. Now, I don't find it a problem. They don't use gas any more here and my dentist's X-ray machines are really quite something. You just put a small plate in your mouth and the X-ray is shown immediately on a large computer monitor. No problem with injections - I suspect that I'm lucky to have found such a good dentist.

Virtually no NHS round here (and even less in S.England) so I've always had private dental insurance. For a fixed fee, I get two checkups incl. any X-rays, and two hygenist visits every year. Any other treatment is at a reduced cost.

I was very lucky to get into the one NHS dentist here. I think they have 3 dentists and a hygienist.

The one time I needed novocaine it was almost painless. The dentist said he learned how to do it in dental school by practicing on each other. He pushed the plunger very, very slowly. Most dentists do it too fast which is why it hurts.

Preparing for my dentures, I needed to have 4 molars/wisdom teeth extracted. I elected to have sedation surgery and be put under. Worked out great, the surgeon even wheeled me out to the car after I was aware enough to go home (wife drove). About 7PM the surgeon himself called my home to make sure that I was ok!!001.gif

Preparing for my dentures, I needed to have 4 molars/wisdom teeth extracted. I elected to have sedation surgery and be put under. Worked out great, the surgeon even wheeled me out to the car after I was aware enough to go home (wife drove). About 7PM the surgeon himself called my home to make sure that I was ok!!View attachment 33215

I had 11 teeth removed on the bottom, including two wisdom teeth, all in one sitting... AND with Novocain only.. Wide awake and numb as a post,

THEN.. at another sitting 8 top teeth along with bone remodeling... in one sitting Novocain only.. no sedation.

Ya'll are wooses...

I had 11 teeth removed on the bottom, including two wisdom teeth, all in one sitting... AND with Novocain only.. Wide awake and numb as a post,

THEN.. at another sitting 8 top teeth along with bone remodeling... in one sitting Novocain only.. no sedation.

Ya'll are wooses...

Yes, I had all the remaining teeth and remodeling done with novocain..

Yes, I had all the remaining teeth and remodeling done with novocain..

It's really not bad.. You can feel the pressure of a tooth being pulled, and you can hear the crunching of it leaving the jaw bone, and I guess that's gross, but not painful. The bonus is not being loony as a toon when you leave the office..

I don't mind the Dentist that much. They have these chairs now that gives you a nice massage while you're getting your teeth worked on. Kind of feel like I should leave them a tip when it's done.. :tranquillity:

I'm typically fine with the dentist, having had LOTS of practice with them growing up in the age before fluoride in the water. Lots of cavities as a kid.

The only time I had a problem was 36 years ago. I needed a root canal. I'd had them before and with nitrous oxide it was no big deal. This time it was a huge deal. The molar had three of the four roots infected. The guy who worked on my could not get me numb before drilling directly into the nerve! He could tell from my screams that something was amiss. Finally he injected me into the hole he had just drilled. Two painful/anxiety filled hours later, I drove home knowing that there were still 3 more visits ahead of me. My wife greeted me at our tiny apartment with the news that she was pregnant (we'd been trying for a baby)! I was so numb that I couldn't even smile, let alone express my joy, which came out as a kind garbled "that's great".

Memories. :)

I have a very low tolerance for pain. I have an excellent pain free dentist. He's darn good, HOWEVER he did dismiss me saying that I could not breathe. He was saying " See , you can breathe." I'm like " No, dude when I can't breathe and am drowning in water don't tell me that I can breathe. I know when I can and can't breathe." So we had a strong difference of opinion on that .

I've survived numerous broken bones, a total knee replacement, passing 8 kidney stones, carpal tunnel surgery, and who knows what else. When the doctor told me to stay on a walker for a few weeks after the total knee replacement, I mowed our lawn with a push mower 2 weeks after surgery. Doc said to not play golf for 30 days after carpal tunnel surgery. The first one I began playing 7 days out and ripped the sutures out. The second hand I waited 8 days and ripped those out. The nurses were pretty upset when they had to repair both due to my not following instructions. That said... I HATE DENTISTS!

I've had all my upper teeth removed for dentures. Pull 'em! I would rather have them pulled than work on them. This past Spring I had to have a root canal and a crown. Told the dentist to just pull the danged tooth. She wouldn't do it. Shoulda gone to another dentist. Root canal and crown and the durn thing still hurts!!! Did I say, I HATE DENTISTS!

When I went in for this last root canal, I was ready to back out. The wife said she would go with me to give me "moral support". I agreed. She called the dentist office and they said it would be no problem for her to accompany me while the work was being done. We got there and they wouldn't let her stay with me. I do believe the piece of my mind I gave them will still haunt their days!!! Did I ever tell you... I HATE DENTISTS!

Total knee replacement, they gave me two different pain pills. Told me to take as needed. I took none! Teeth pulled, they gave me pain pills. I took none! The ONLY time I have needed any pain medication... other than Tylenol... was for kidney stones. I can tolerate quite a bit of pain... except for getting teeth filled/drilled!!!

Why did I ever click on this thread???!!!!????

No really Grump, you're in the right place. That we can survive broken bones and the full body boa constrictor that commands labor...but clean my teeth? NOOOOOOOO HELP MEEEEE!

I've had all my upper teeth removed for dentures. Pull 'em! I would rather have them pulled than work on them. This past Spring I had to have a root canal and a crown. Told the dentist to just pull the danged tooth. She wouldn't do it. Shoulda gone to another dentist. Root canal and crown and the durn thing still hurts!!! Did I say, I HATE DENTISTS!
I did have them all pulled and I never have to see another dentist as long as I live! The trick with a dentist who doesn't want to pull the tooth is tell them you will find a dentist that will, they cave real fast rather than lose the money. I am convinced that 99.9% of dentists are sadist who enjoy your pain.

Back