Are you a fan of stir fry?

I like chicken, mushrooms and sweet peppers as main ingredients. Not an onion fan, so I usually do not add them. I have found several sweet & savory seasonings in the Asian section of the grocery store. I have a few I like. A favorite is Peanut sauce. I have found, for the sauces, a little goes a long way, to prevent too strong of a flavor.
Sometimes I will have the stir fry on its own, or serve it over rice or, more often ramen noodles (I rarely use the flavor packets, too much sodium). I usually make enough for a meal plus left overs

I love sweet and sour chicken as a matter of fact I’m making it this week, is that considered a stir fry? I do fry the chicken in batter and then quickly pan fry the green peppers, onions and pineapple chunks then toss the sauce over all of it. I’m drooling thinking about it.

I enjoy a good stirfry but at home I fake it.

This version of crack slaw is easy, inexpensive and has the flavor elements of a traditional stir fry.

Fry and crumble 1/2 pound of hot breakfast sausage with a small diced onion and three or four cloves of minced garlic. Next, I add a 14-16 oz. bag of fresh coleslaw mix, 1 T sherry, 2T soy sauce, 1T toasted sesame oil. I cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat for 6 or 7 minutes until the cabbage collapses. I remove the lid and stir, cook another 3 or 4 minutes uncovered to allow any moisture to evaporate and serve. Leftovers can be heated in the microwave.

th

I chop onions, red pepper, celery, cauliflower, mushrooms, drain oil from a can of tuna and fry the vegetables in that adding olive oil if necessary, then stir in the tuna and maybe some rice, lots of black pepper and a touch of sea salt

Good thread gennie, it’s given me some ideas for other ingredients :)

Start with firm tofu cubes in a very hot, oiled pan. Add granulated garlic and turmeric. Toss the cubes until they're uniformly light brown. Add toasted sesame oil. Add thin sliced carrots and bok choy. Toss. Keep tossing until carrots are tender and can be cut with a wooden spoon. Add onions, lower flame, toss until onions are translucent, add chopped garlic, a few minutes later, add sundried tomatoes and mushrooms, toss. Add a pinch of powdered rosemary. Toss. Cover on low heat for a few minutes, until mushrooms are just cooked, not rubbery, and tomatoes are softened. Finish with a few dashes of low-sodium soy sauce. Serve on seasoned rice. Bon appetit!

What are your favorite ingredients? For me, a savory stir fry always begins with a quartered onion and ends with a dash of dark sesame oil.
Your post is right on for us. We eat very little meat and veggies are eaten stir-fried on a regular basis. It's not just Chinese-style stir fry. We'll use Indian curries or just a lot of various seasonings. Onion, carrots, peas, corn, muschrooms, green beans, zucchini, broccoli. cauliflower, whatever.....

I make spring rolls but never tried egg rolls. Frying is out of my wheelhouse.

You bake them.

Go to your Asian grocery store. Get spring roll wrappers. Saute in toasted sesame oil: shredded cabbage, carrots and onion, until soft. Allow to cool for about a half hour. Mix in some sweet and sour sauce, bbq sauce, soy sauce. Lay out a wrapper with a corner facing you, place about 4-5 tablespoons of mix, as above, on the sheet, start rolling up, tucking everything as you roll, lay on a baking sheet that has parchment paper on it, bake at 425 for about twenty minutes, checking to make sure nothing is burning, remove from the oven, let cool for ten minutes. They'll be crispy and amazing. ENJOY! Everyone who has had my egg rolls tells me they are the best they've ever had. Soon, they'll be telling you that, too! :p

Once you master the basic egg roll moves, you can make rolls with pizza "stuff" in them, samosa "stuff," etc.

Last edited:
New tip: Go to a Greek/Mediterranean grocery store, and get jarred grape leaves that contain no sulfites. Pry one roll out, and cut about a fourth of it. Chop, and put into scrambled tofu, along with onions and tomatoes, for an amazing taste treat at breakfast. Have it on top of an injera, which you'll find at the same grocer, or buy a stack from your local Ethiopian restaurant. For a sauce, try vegan sour cream mixed with a mild salsa. You can also put a slice of vegan smoked Gouda on the scramble, cover on low heat, and wait until the cheese melts, before sliding the scramble out onto the injera. I'm making myself hungry, no lie!

Note: Injeras don't keep that well. If I buy a large stack, I cut them in half, roll them, and separate them using wax paper in a freezer bag, that goes into the freezer. They'll keep forever!

Start with firm tofu cubes in a very hot, oiled pan. Add granulated garlic and turmeric. Toss the cubes until they're uniformly light brown. Add toasted sesame oil. Add thin sliced carrots and bok choy. Toss. Keep tossing until carrots are tender and can be cut with a wooden spoon. Add onions, lower flame, toss until onions are translucent, add chopped garlic, a few minutes later, add sundried tomatoes and mushrooms, toss. Add a pinch of powdered rosemary. Toss. Cover on low heat for a few minutes, until mushrooms are just cooked, not rubbery, and tomatoes are softened. Finish with a few dashes of low-sodium soy sauce. Serve on seasoned rice. Bon appetit!

I made this last night. Added some raw broccoli slaw and cabbage slaw (that I bought yesterday in anticipation of making the egg rolls you recommend above). Wow, was that easy - and really, really good!

This morning I created a new file on my computer - TreeGuy Recipes! Thank you again for sharing your wisdom!

You bake them.

Go to your Asian grocery store. Get spring roll wrappers. Saute in toasted sesame oil: shredded cabbage, carrots and onion, until soft. Allow to cool for about a half hour. Mix in some sweet and sour sauce, bbq sauce, soy sauce. Lay out a wrapper with a corner facing you, place about 4-5 tablespoons of mix, as above, on the sheet, start rolling up, tucking everything as you roll, lay on a baking sheet that has parchment paper on it, bake at 425 for about twenty minutes, checking to make sure nothing is burning, remove from the oven, let cool for ten minutes. They'll be crispy and amazing. ENJOY! Everyone who has had my egg rolls tells me they are the best they've ever had. Soon, they'll be telling you that, too! :p

Once you master the basic egg roll moves, you can make rolls with pizza "stuff" in them, samosa "stuff," etc.

Thanks! I'm going to give this a try.

I like stir fry, but my electric hob is just a little cool to do it properly. As I understand it, the vegetables, and meat if using, are fried very quickly in a hot, uncovered pan or wok. When I do make stir fry, I use whatever vegetables I happen to have, but I would generally include onion and peppers. Tofu - YUCK!! Wouldn't have it within a mile of my kitchen, and while I like sesame oil, I think it's easy to overdo it, so I don't often use it.

Back