Are You Happy With Your Home, Your Location, Your Surroundings and Your Neighbors?

Been in our home since 1978, hate it. When my husband passes, will move to Az to be near one of my daughters. Neighbors have changed, neighborhood has changed, no thanks not for me any longer. I think of all the memories that have been created in this house and how easy it would be to stay and not be bothered with such a life change, but this isn’t for me here any longer. We moved here because my husbands family lives in the area and I’m so over them, it’s going to be time for what I want.

We moved to our present home, a detached 3 bedroom house in North East Wales, nearly 6 years ago. We are very pleased with our home and neighbourhood. The neighbours are friendly and we try to help each other out if need be.:)

i wish i had my own place but cant afford it--1 neighbor close that is a drunken ding bat--their are no neighbors to talk to--sometimes gangs hang out at the end of the road--but i hafta stay here

One morning I opened my front door and the woman neighbor was standing there almost at my front door with her dog. I tried to say hello but she said nothing and proceeded to walk casually back across my front lawn to get to her house. I'm like huh? Then another day I happened to look out my front window and she had walked across my front lawn and my driveway and was in my side yard letting her dog poop!

So yesterday I came home and found her dog's poop, once again, but in my driveway this time, up near my house. As I posted in my earlier thread, this woman uses my front yard as her personal "park" to walk her dog across, poop, and just leave it there. Just unbelievable.

So...this morning I was going out back with my dog and hear "Good morning neighbor" and it's the man that lives with this woman and others, in the house. His voice startled me because I obviously didn't know he would be peering over my back fence, trimming branches & I wasn't even dressed yet.

Anyway, it was a good opportunity to let him know about this woman that lives with him and what she is doing. He didn't say who she was, except to say, "Oh, yes, she has an attitude, that one". Probably his wife's, sister, who knows.

Said he was glad I told him, agrees she shouldn't be doing that and will let her know. He seems personable enough to speak with, but who knows if he will tell her or really agrees.

Anyway, glad he is aware that I won't be tolerating her seemingly oblivious lack of right and wrong and total disregard.

I'm not sure if at some point I will decide to move or not, since I have been here so long. I like my house but wish it were set in a small, beautiful mountain town and every morning I could wake up, look out my window and see the mountains, lake or valley below.....not back or side yard fences. Hope to someday make that dream come true. I grew up near the mountains, not where I am now, and I miss that small town environment.

Last edited:
I've lived in different places over the years. Among others: OH, PA, CA, FL, VA, Brasil (for 9 months), and now WV. Rented and owned in those areas. Talking with others about those different places, I am always asked which one I liked most. That always makes me stop and ponder. I LIKED THEM ALL! Every place has +'s and -'s. It's what you make of it.

Many comments about neighbors. They never have a chance with me...<g>... From day one, I am out and introducing myself, offering them a beer, offering to help, and asking how they like the neighborhood. Most say "OK"; some are the "negative" type who would complain if you hung them with a new rope. Now - Even the "bad guy" of the neighbor and I get along. He is just "trash" and his small lot if VERY trashy. I'm working on that and may need to involve the local "zoning" folks. Altho' there is really no such thing as "zoning" nor building permits here.

I was looking to rent when I bought this place; but, it showed up on Craigslist of all places. Needed a LOT of work; but, the price was right and I just paid cash. So, no mortgage = YAY! Surroundings: About 5 miles and I am into the George Washing National Forest which is huge. In a valley with a nice stream; not quite the typical WV Hollow". But close...<g>...

So yesterday I came home and found her dog's poop, once again, but in my driveway this time, up near my house. As I posted in my earlier thread, this woman uses my front yard as her personal "park" to walk her dog across, poop, and just leave it there. Just unbelievable.

So...this morning I was going out back with my dog and hear "Good morning neighbor" and it's the man that lives with this woman and others, in the house. His voice startled me because I obviously didn't know he would be peering over my back fence, trimming branches & I wasn't even dressed yet.

Anyway, it was a good opportunity to let him know about this woman that lives with him and what she is doing. He didn't say who she was, except to say, "Oh, yes, she has an attitude, that one". Probably his wife's, sister, who knows.

Said he was glad I told him, agrees she shouldn't be doing that and will let her know. He seems personable enough to speak with, but who knows if he will tell her or really agrees.

Anyway, glad he is aware that I won't be tolerating her seemingly oblivious lack of right and wrong and total disregard.

I'm not sure if at some point I will decide to move or not, since I have been here so long. I like my house but wish it were set in a small, beautiful mountain town and every morning I could wake up, look out my window and see the mountains, lake or valley below.....not back or side yard fences. Hope to someday make that dream come true. I grew up near the mountains, not where I am now, and I miss that small town environment.

Any updates since you talked to the guy, Cindy?

I'm content with my little apartment, the neighbors, location, price, etc...

My big grumble for the moment is that the park bench in the courtyard disappeared yesterday.:mad:

I enjoyed sitting for a few minutes on nice days and so did several other tenants.

Funny how that one insignificant change can upset my quiet little life.

A new tenant moving in would never realize we ever had a park bench or give it a thought!

I'd have to say that I'm happy here. I'm still living in the house where I was born, back in 1933.

My grandfather built it in 1921 and my mum, dad, and myself lived with them. When my grandparents died, the house was passed on to my folks, who lived out their days here.

My wife and I had built a small home in 1962, on another section of the old farm but when my folks suddenly passed, 4 years later we inherited the old homestead and decided to move back and live there, eventually selling our "new" home 12 years later (after leasing it through those years).

Our youngest daughter and husband shared the home with us and in 1995, when her first child was to arrive, we GAVE them the house and retained a life lease for ourselves. It's one of the best choices I ever made. In our early retirement years we spent our winters in Florida and spring and fall at another daughter's cottage in Maine. We now skip our Florida trips but still visit in Maine. We never have to concern ourselves with upkeep, utility costs, taxes, etc.. and as we've moved into our 80's, it's very comforting to be surrounded by kids and grandkids when health problems arrive.

Having read many of the family threads on this forum, I'd hardly recommend our choice for many, as sadly, family harmony doesn't seem to be present. We have a flow of college students (grandson) and high school kids (grand-daughter) passing through our lives and we're "gram & gramp" to all of them. Neighbors are OK, I guess. Never have much to say to them other than good morning, etc.. In a nutshell - - I hope my last days are spent here as they were for my folks and grandparents.

Any updates since you talked to the guy, Cindy?
Hi, C'est Moi, thanks for asking.

Well, so far so good as to not finding anymore "dog's business" in my yard. When I was mowing the lawn last week there was some on the grass near the end of the driveway, but that could have been another person walking their dog around the block and like some do, didn't bother to pick it up.

My neighbor on the other side of me lent me this "Poop Free Zone" little sign (lol), so I put it up.

Guess that's really the least of your worries when you own a home, compared to the maintenance issues anyway.

Hi, C'est Moi, thanks for asking.

Well, so far so good as to not finding anymore "dog's business" in my yard. When I was mowing the lawn last week there was some on the grass near the end of the driveway, but that could have been another person walking their dog around the block and like some do, didn't bother to pick it up.

My neighbor on the other side of me lent me this "Poop Free Zone" little sign (lol), so I put it up.

Guess that's really the least of your worries when you own a home, compared to the maintenance issues anyway.

I'm glad it seems to be resolved. And yeah... not a big "problem" but annoying anyway. Especially if you aren't watching your step!!

Back