Are you or have been diabetic? Prediabetes?

Victor

I found out today that I am diabetic but do not yet have diabetes.
I am surprised because I had no symptoms. So I must watch my diet and
take medicine for it. I am at the upper end of the prediabetes range and am
up set about this because I love soda, sweets like cookies, pie, candy.ice cream...and etc.

Sugar free stuff tastes terrible to me. Have you been diagnosed with this
and did your glucose level return to normal?

Sorry to hear that Victor. Did they do a fasting test on you? I would get your glucose down to normal range then maybe discuss the possibility of an occasional sweet treat. (in the future) I hate lifestyle changes too!! Diabetes can be quite serious--you don't want to go there if you can avoid it! One thing positive is you got a little warning so cut way back on the sugary carbs.

My A1C has been around 6.0 for the last 10 years, but last time was at 6.5, which is borderline diabetic. But my doctor (who is overweight herself) just said "let's check it again in 6 months". I admit I have a "sweet tooth".

Diabetes is different for everyone. I've been a diabetic for over ten years and treat it with oral medication. If I eat a very, very low carb diet similar to Atkins induction diet my numbers are great. If I throw in a few low carb treats like reduced carb bread, high fiber pasta, sugar free ice cream, etc... my numbers go up significantly. The good news is that by going low carb I've lost over fifty pounds and have much more energy. Talk to your doctor about attending a diabetic workshop that helps to understand how to construct a diet that is right for you and the way you live. In this area they are normally three sessions and are covered by insurance. Good luck!

I was diabetic 3 years ago . 8.3 a1c . diet , weight lifting and running 5 miles every other day has me on no neds and a1c is staying at 6.0 . until i ran no cardio i did really influenced the numbers much . it takes the grueling nonstop run . i feel like a hamster on a wheel every other day

I read that an a1c of 6.5 has to come back twice to be diagnosed as type 1 diabetes. My last one was 6.5, so I'm hoping the next will be better.

Victor, yes my numbers returned to normal after I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.and yours will too with the right foods, exercise, weight loss and your medication. I strayed from the right path when I quit smoking and was temporarily on a drug that increased appetite.

Your soda, sweets like cookies, pie, candy. ice cream will be, except for only occasionally, a thing of the past.

Sugar addiction, like any other addiction, is hard but not impossible to overcome. It's a LOT easier than cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. It seems so unfair at first but surprisingly, the craving does go away!

Good luck with eating healthy and getting well!

Back