Around the world in a square rigged ship

Square rigged means the sails are set square to the center line of the ship not the shape.
a-to-z-roycesails600.png

Lullaby Series: A Square-Rigged Ship by Genni Stryker

The "Suomen Joutsen", Full-rigged ship in Finland in 1940

The "Suomen Joutsen" ("Swan of Finland"), a full-rigged ship in Finland in 1940. Shot during a time of peace in Finland, i.e. the Interim Peace, after the Winter War but before the Russian campaign in 1941.

Originally the "Laennec", a 1902 French ship built for the bulk trade, where sail was still competitive at the time. Later in German hands, and from 1930 owned by the Finnish Navy, where it sailed widely in training in the South and North Atlantic, as far Cape Horn though the Panama Canal before WWII.

Was transferred to a stationary civilian maritime training ship capacity in 1956, since 2002 a restored museum ship owned by the City of Turku as a part of the Forum Marinum seafaring museum collection in Turku, Finland.

Thanks Meanderer - fascinating stuff to me.
I am both terrified and fascinated by the ocean.
I lived and worked offshore for many years offshore West Africa and before Africa - in the Gulf of Mexico, (GOM) working the oilpatch.
The Sea's are beautiful and yet so relentless, so savage. I have been offshore in hurricanes in the GOM - that's the terrifying part.
As scared of the ocean as I am, I am still drawn to it's beauty.
I enjoy reading of the sailors of old on the sailing ships - they were tough hombre's and to venture on the sea's in little wooden ships - well hat's off to them all.
Thanks for the You Tubes
gamboolman....

Tall Ships Coos Bay Documentary c.1854-1920 by Steve Priske

"This video is an introduction into the extensive history of Tall Ships built on Oregon’s Coos Bay from 1854 to 1920. Produced from a ‘lost’ collection of 1,500 glass plate images and over 1,000 actual ships documents from the National Archives, along with numerous submissions from private parties whose descendants were part of this ‘missing chapter’ of tall ship history. To see more of this and other tall ship history see my web site; tall ships of san francisco.com Steve Priske. Watch on full screen."

Stan Rogers intros & sings "Barrett's Privateers" in One Warm Line documentary

Back