Arpaio and Presidential Pardon.

Apparently Arpaio doesn't understand what a pardon entails. He proclaims his innocence. A pardon absolves the person from the punishment of his crime. In order to get a pardon, you have to admit to the crime. You can't use a get-out-of-jail-free card if you didn't do something that put you in jail.

Apparently Arpaio doesn't understand what a pardon entails. He proclaims his innocence. A pardon absolves the person from the punishment of his crime. In order to get a pardon, you have to admit to the crime. You can't use a get-out-of-jail-free card if you didn't do something that put you in jail.

If that's the case, how did "Scottsboro Boys" receive pardons- when they didn't claim they were guilty of something they didn't do?

Or Patty Hearst?

If that's the case, how did "Scottsboro Boys" receive pardons- when they didn't claim they were guilty of something they didn't do?

Or Patty Hearst?

The accuser of the Scottsboro Boys recanted her accusation of them; they didn't do anything to her. Their trial was a racist farce; they were pardoned posthumously.

I dunno about Patty Hearst.

The accuser of the Scottsboro Boys recanted her accusation of them; they didn't do anything to her. Their trial was a racist farce; they were pardoned posthumously.

I dunno about Patty Hearst.

True, but I was commenting on what Fuzz. said- that a person can't be pardoned unless they admit to a crime.

Oh- only one of the girls recanted- the other kept to her lie til she died.
And only one was pardoned while alive.
(I just finished reading "Stories of Scottsboro"- it's interesting)

Back