Article: Your Top 10 Objects Your Kids Don't Want

Do you have a local Gifting site on something like FB? People offer or ask for things they need and may not be able to afford.

I’ll bet if you said you’d enjoy having a few nice pieces of dinnerware, silverware or glasses, you’d have many donors. So many seniors are tried and feel sad when they have to take items to thrift stores. I have things that I’d gladly give to someone who would appreciate them.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm not on Facebook. And for me, the thrift store is more convenient than trying to connect with individuals.

I have all I need right now anyway!

That article was a wake up call for me. We pride ourselves on being clutter free, no attic, no basement, our three car garage holds only three cars and no spare rooms used for "storage." It's use it or lose it here.

But, by golly I realized we did have a huge heavy set of fine china we hadn't used since my family no longer can gather for holiday dinners. It was all on the very top shelf in the kitchen where I'm surprised the shelf hadn't collapsed and sent it all down on my head and the glass stove top. So my husband took it all to the free store where the homeless patrons can now eat off fine china as well as sleep under our $300 gold brocade comforter that was too heavy for us and wear all the brand new but itchy sweaters I've donated. Somewhere, under a bridge, some elegant living is going on.

I keep all the crystal, though. Our living room is decorated in a yin-yang of crystal accents and leather upholstery. I've always liked the clean sparkle of crystal under the light, so when my parents and sister-in-law and her great aunt downsized it all funneled to me. If my son wants to throw it out when he inherits this place, that's fine with me.

What your children, grand children, etc will gladly take is your cash, bank account/investment account balance, and anything else that can be easily converted to $$$.

Can't say that I blame them.

After reading the posts on this thread my wife & I took stock of our 'stuff'. Wife's hobbies are gardening, reading & puzzles. Mine are computer related & movies. With the cloud now a big part of our memories (photos & things) are online. No storage containers taking up room in our shed or garage. We told our children to let us know what they wanted so we don't donate or discard them.

Her books all come from her link to the public library, puzzles are bought online then donated intact after one use. The gardening is taken care of weekly in the yard waste containers. My hobby 'stuff' which used to take up 3-4 containers is down to an 8" container at the top of our closet. All statements, taxes & other paper is online to the cloud. My movies are copied to a 2TB external HD, no DVD cases on shelves.

We use one set of dishes & eating utensils, a few pots and pans, and a limited array of kitchen appliances. I've gained a new respect for disposable bowls & cups. The pandemic helped. Other than a few needed blankets & weather appropriate clothing nothing is kept. We adopted a minimalistic life style after retirement.

I keep all the crystal, though. Our living room is decorated in a yin-yang of crystal accents and leather upholstery. I've always liked the clean sparkle of crystal under the light,
I also love the clean sparkle of good crystal.
What your children, grand children, etc will gladly take is your cash, bank account/investment account balance, and anything else that can be easily converted to $$$.
When my mother died, the trust attorney told me that as the executor I should get rid of everything through an auction house or other means. I disagreed, saying my siblings and the younger generation would want most of what she had. He told me he'd seen this played out dozens of times with other estates. Heirs want money, not stuff.

I went against his advice.

Not only was almost everything spoken for, the recipients paid the shipping charges (including for a 50+ year old grand piano that wasn't particularly valuable in and of itself.) Some other furniture was distributed among local family; the rest was donated.

The attorney was shocked when I reported how much had not only been requested, but paid to be shipped.

It's true that people are happy to inherit money, but you'd be surprised how often I hear from relatives that they love having little reminders of my mother populating their homes. A nephew used one of Mom's small crystal bowls to hold his babies' pacifiers, a small link from them to their great grandmother.

Last edited:
I'm putting my dil's father in charge of my LP collection, as he understands the value of some of them; also will put him in charge of my Beatles, etc. paraphernalia and comic books. I think he would go for top dollar or find someone appreciative.

Back