Asking for Vitamin/Supplement Thoughts

CallMeKate

I'd like to get some thoughts on the vitamins/supplements that would be most beneficial... just asking for what's worked for ya'll, not for "medical advice" which I assume we're not supposed to be giving here. :) Bottom line facts are that I'm 65 and healthy. I allow myself 1200 kcals daily. My plan is to start eating lower carb and I've always been mindful of sodium and sugar intake. I do not get nearly enough vitamins in the foods I eat. I like veggies and fruits but I don't eat enough of them and don't really want to start forcing veggies down my throat. 🤫

So anyhow... here's my plan, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I am missing that may be essential.
I want to take: (1) a multi (2) Calcium (3) Iron
On the fence about and asking for advice concerning need for: potassium, Vit C, B Complex, Magnesium, Vit D3
Figuring I probably don't need: Fish Oil, Glucosamine

What did I miss that could be essential? I know the multi has calcium and iron, but I do want a boost with those.

I'd like to get some thoughts on the vitamins/supplements that would be most beneficial... just asking for what's worked for ya'll, not for "medical advice" which I assume we're not supposed to be giving here. :) Bottom line facts are that I'm 65 and healthy. I allow myself 1200 kcals daily. My plan is to start eating lower carb and I've always been mindful of sodium and sugar intake. I do not get nearly enough vitamins in the foods I eat. I like veggies and fruits but I don't eat enough of them and don't really want to start forcing veggies down my throat. 🤫

So anyhow... here's my plan, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I am missing that may be essential.
On the fence about and asking for advice concerning need for: potassium, Vit C, B Complex, Magnesium, Vit D3

What did I miss that could be essential? I know the multi has calcium and iron, but I do want a boost with those.
Be careful about taking extra (more than in a good multi formulated for Seniors), If you don't use a lot of milk (on cereal, in cooking/baking) or eat certain processed foods it might be safe---but many of things have 'added calcium' these days and can lead to having too much which can strain your parathyroid glands' ability to dump the excess into your urine, plus a lot of excess calcium in urine can cause urinary tract issues. One doc i had described it as 'clogging the pipes'. Iron is another one you need to talk with a doc about how much you need (a blood test would show if you need a supplement. (Most of us get enough from food intake except when pregnant.) Anything in excess can cause issues. Most good multi vitamins have sufficient potassium and magnesium for most people--exception being if they have a condition or some aspect of their life (like a health issue) depletes them.

B-Complex is good if you are under a lot of stress, as stress tends to deplete your B vitamin reserves.

But there are few things that same are needed in identical amounts by EVERYone. Bodies vary in needs. i take Fish oil, but then my fingers are gnarled with arthritis and and hands/wrists affected too.

I don't take things daily because it would be too much for me,
but I think it's good to take Vitamins A, B complex, C, D, and E.
I take these every few days and am healthy and full of energy.
Occasionally I'll take a multi for nutrients I might be missing.
I think, as we age, these are essential.

Last edited:
Get your levels checked. I was taking a multi-vitamin with iron in it for years. At one point I changed my diet and started eating raisin bran for breakfast every day. My iron levels went through the roof. If I hadn't been getting my levels checked it would never have occured to me.

I don't take things daily because it would be too much for me,
but I think it's good to take Vitamins A, B complex, C, D, and E.
I take these every few days and am healthy and full of energy.
Occasionally I'll take a multi for nutrients I might be missing.

I cannot take daily supplements anymore either ... as I age, I find I feel much better with only occasional help from vitamins/ other supplements.
And I don't take any prescription drugs at all.

Last edited:
I don't take much in the way of vitamins. I once was prescribed Niaspan by GP, for cholesterol, and it really worked. Later, my Cardiologist told me to stop taking Niaspan, and told me to take 1400mg fish oil, 900mg omega3... twice a day, instead. It works.

Maybe your doctor has different advice.

Water soluble vitamins (B vitamins and vitamin C) will be excreted after the body takes what it needs of them. You can OD on the fat soluble vitamins (A, D & E), because they are stored in the body. Vitamin A is especially toxic to the liver. If you eat a balanced diet, you should not need any supplements.

I take calcium, Vitamins B, C and D because my diet is lousy.
I used to have to take an iron supplement because I was anemic, but since menopause, that is no longer a problem.

I take calcium, Vitamins B, C and D because my diet is lousy.
I used to have to take an iron supplement because I was anemic, but since menopause, that is no longer a problem.
Yes, this is why I brought up the question... my diet is lousy, too... most days I have about 1200 kcal but some days it's less and I simply don't get the nutrients I should be getting.

I was taking a multivitamin (Centrum Silver) and was getting sick after 2 weeks, but stuck out the month. Then saw a program of liquid vitamins and the absorption rate is higher for liquid and the casing of solid multivitamin is similar to shellac.

So I'm looking at liquid multivitamins, but have seen some of the vitamin dosages are 1000% of normal or even higher!

I really need to research the whole thing before buying anything....

In my book these are the most important!
Many studies have shown that most people are deficient in D & Mg. These two are also the most difficult to get right because of cofactors and absorption. Getting these two right has helped me the most.

Instead of the fish oil I take Cod Liver Oil - Grandma was right!

Blood work should give you a clue to what you may or may not need. A while back some blood work showed I had a Vitamin D and vitamin B12 deficiency. I started taking prescription vitamin D5 tablets and a B12 shot and it helped my energy level tremendously. Now I take a B12 supplement daily and it gives me quite an energy boost. As has been mentioned blood work would be a good start.

I don't take much in the way of vitamins. I once was prescribed Niaspan by GP, for cholesterol, and it really worked. Later, my Cardiologist told me to stop taking Niaspan, and told me to take 1400mg fish oil, 900mg omega3... twice a day, instead. It works.

Maybe your doctor has different advice.
Wow..that's really good to know.
I wish my cardiologist spent more time telling me things like this. He's always so quick w/me, I practically have to tie him down to listen to me.

I agree with others posts above, especially
@feywon about Iron, to not take without specific reason, and @dobielvr to consider Vit D-3, if living in a cold Norther climate.

Ad it's best to have some general, ad perhaps specific bloodwork, to determine which if any, are best for you, individually.
I found out that I retain way to much iron so I had to give up anything which is iron added as well as vitamin C. Very important to have the blood work.

I stay with the basics:
Vitamin C
B complex
Magnesium
...would consider vitamin D, talk to your dr. if you intend to take potassium.

I have tried lots of vitamins and supplements over the years, not convinced most of them did me any good. Given most up. Right now I take a multivitamin and AREDS 2. Not sure the multivitamin does me any good.

The AREDS 2 were prescribed by my eye doctor, though they are over the counter. It's a vitamin mix to treat macular degeneration. I've been taking them for about 5 years and they do seem to help. Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age-Related_Eye_Disease_Study

Back