Assisted dying

pleinmont

I think people should have the absolute right to terminate their lives, with help if necessary, if they are terminally ill, or living with an incurable condition, which makes their existence a living hell. If it were legal here in the UK, I would be prepared to assist someone to die, having taken a course to ensure that I knew how to go about it.

What are the thoughts of others on this topic, which I realise is controversial?

Yes, I have to say, I am definitely of the same mind as you. The right to end our own lives if terminally ill, or the right to give absolute and legal permission for another to help if the patient is too ill to do it themselves, should be a right, everywhere.

Currently I think there's 10 states in the USA , where you can pay for assisted suicide and it's not expensive either ...there's the dignitas clinic in Zurich which is enormously expensive and to which the terminally ill person has to make their own way from countries outside of Switzerland which to many is impossible , ...,

..Belgium, One state in Australia (Victoria)... and Quebec (only) Canada... In France palliative sedation is permitted but assisted suicide is not. ..

In some places as in Victoria Australia for example you have to have been a resident for a period of time and have less than 6 months to live...

In the uk, nothing, just suffer till you die...

I do believe everyone has the right to decide if they feel it’s time. For me it’s still in the back of my mind that it’s suicide n being brain washed during my childhood I’m not sure what I’d do. If I did something like that I sure wouldn’t go where my husband went! I guess I hope I never have to make that decision.

California has a "death with dignity" statute. You have to be terminally ill and medically determined to be within 6 months of dying. Understandable from the state's perspective, which obviously has to protect people from hustling Granny's exit, but hellaciously long for someone bedridden from a stroke or other condition that robs them of any quality of life.

@Pepper, I don't think God's feelings would be hurt if we opted out of suffering, but that's just me.

I think people should have the absolute right to terminate their lives, with help if necessary, if they are terminally ill, or living with an incurable condition, which makes their existence a living hell. If it were legal here in the UK, I would be prepared to assist someone to die, having taken a course to ensure that I knew how to go about it.

What are the thoughts of others on this topic, which I realise is controversial?
I absolutely agree! Euthanasia is allowed for pets, it should also be allowed for humans that want it. I felt bad for Dr Kevorkian, he was way ahead of his time trying to do the right thing.

yes I believe you can decide what is the best way out of misery -----people put down pets that in pain and no hope
when u see some kids in twilight zone -is that living NO '' I COULD NEVER WATCH A LOVE ONE SUFFER

So I would take the prison sentence if any ' law has to change with this issue --

People should have the right to end their lives when they're suffering with no hope. But I really don't care whether or not such a law is passed because if I'm in that situation, I'll handle it myself, even though it would be rather messy.
You make a good point, @win231. When laws don't permit assisted suicide determined people find a way to accomplish it, often leaving a traumatizing scene for survivors and emergency personnel to cope with.

With Win231 on this one, short and sweet. I would not hesitate to easy my pain if I was in that situation.
What is the law going to do, dig me up?
A total different set of issues arise in the assisted death. Lost some friends to cancer , watched what
they went through, what the family went through. I totally agree that those in that position should decide.

Back