Assisted Living

Lon

There will come a time for each of us when we physically cannot do many of the daily chores of cooking, cleaning, bathing or can do some but not all. At that point we may need some help and are faced with the decision of staying in our own home and getting the assistance brought in, or selling/leaving our home and moving into one of the many different kinds of facilities that offer Assisted Living.

I turned 80 in July and though I am single, physically active and do my own cooking I am trying to plan for that time that I need Assisted Living. I sold my home and moved to a age 55 plus apartment complex where I now have a two bedroom two bath apartment that cost considerably less each month than the property taxes/insurance/maintenance/upkeep on my former home. I also now have the cash from the sale of my large home to use for any assisted living that I may require. I also have a Long Term Care Policy that was part of a retirement package when I retired at age 58.

How about you folks? What's your thinking about your own eventual needs for assisted living.

It sounds like you've made some good choices and are well prepared Lon. Right now I'm thinking I would try to stay in my home, and perhaps have someone come in to assist me with things if that is needed in the future. Assisted living apartments is a good option, my in laws, looked into them when they were still alive and very sickly, and the monthly costs were very expensive at the time. We had both of them stay in our home instead, which worked out much better. We don't have children, so we will have to do what's necessary when the time comes.

Back