At our age do you think we CAN lower cholesterol with diet and exercise?

Earlier this month I had an annual check-up with my doctor and they took a blood draw. A couple of days later my doc called me with the results. I knew it wasn't good when the doc calls. She told me my total cholesterol, the bad cholesterol, triglycerides were all too high. She then said that rather than just prescribe prescription medications, she wanted to see if I could lower it with diet and exercise.

I have been working from home since March and have gained 12 pounds. Since I heard the results, I have started to scale back my portion sizes and upped my exercise. I am s-l-o-w-l-y losing the weight. But I am wondering if that will be enough? She wants me to come back in a couple of months and take another blood draw. Have any of you done this?
You should be thankful you have a doctor who doesn't push useless pills.
If your high cholesterol is not due to genetics you can lower it with the right diet.
Scale back or eliminate foods that contain cholesterol. Meat, eggs and dairy all have cholesterol.
People who choose a plant-based diet have had great success.

Ed Bishop

I'm working on it. The Lipitor the doctor gave me, gave me psoriasis, after the doc had told me it would have no side effects. I'm tired of doctors thinking they are gods and we are stupid.

My doctor wanted me to watch my diet and take red rice yeast ( a OTC supplement) since i was on other medications that would have been bad with statins ..... mine went down in two months a significant amount that the nurse said he made them test it twice since results were great.
i know to many on statins and see no difference just maintain same levels.
Is this something you get online?Got the lecture from Dr. last week.

Medical opinion here is that diet only has a small effect on cholesterol levels (<10%). My level had tended to be a bit high and I get tired of doctors always moving the goalposts. Levels that they wouldn't have given a second thought to, are now dangerously high and they want you to take statins. To humour them, I agreed to try Simvastatin which I didn't take because you can't have grapefruit in any form. Then I tried atorvastatin which caused headaches. At this point, a different Doc said to stop taking them because my cholesterol wasn't really all that high!

A good diet and weight control is beneficial for loads of other reasons eg. preventing heart disease and diabetes.

Medical opinion here is that diet only has a small effect on cholesterol levels (<10%). My level had tended to be a bit high and I get tired of doctors always moving the goalposts. Levels that they wouldn't have given a second thought to, are now dangerously high and they want you to take statins. To humour them, I agreed to try Simvastatin which I didn't take because you can't have grapefruit in any form. Then I tried atorvastatin which caused headaches. At this point, a different Doc said to stop taking them because my cholesterol wasn't really all that high!

A good diet and weight control is beneficial for loads of other reasons eg. preventing heart disease and diabetes.
exactly the numbers are always changing for bigger market share..... some doctors admit this and do not push it ....................but sometimes i Feel the system of write this many prescriptions etc and you get the week in the virgin islands or hawaii is still in effect...

there are many diet items and otc type things like niacin and reed rice yeast that will lower it.

From ChoosingWisely.Org

Many older adults have high cholesterol. Their doctors usually prescribe statins to prevent heart disease.
But for older people, there is no clear evidence that high cholesterol leads to heart disease or death. In fact, some studies show the opposite—that older people with the lowest cholesterol levels actually have the highest risk of death.

Statins have risks.

Compared to younger adults, older adults are more likely to suffer serious side effects from using statins.
Statins can cause muscle problems, such as aches, pains, or weakness. Rarely, there can be a severe form of muscle breakdown.
In older adults, statins can also cause:
  • Falls
  • Memory loss and confusion
  • Nausea, constipation, or diarrhea.
Often, older adults take many drugs. These can interact with statins and lead to serious problems. Side effects, like muscle pain, may increase. Statins can also cause a fatal reaction when taken with heart-rhythm drugs.
Statins may increase the risk of type-2 diabetes and cataracts, as well as damage to the liver, kidneys, and nerves.

Be careful NOT to fall into the trap of 'Big Pharma' and every doctor on the planet knows all about 'Big Pharma'
You know when you go to the doctor and he/she says okay take this then you go back and you have to take something
to counteract the first medication then something else because the first 2 upset you and on and on it goes

I don't know about lowering cholesterol but I have been trying to lose 6 to 10 pounds over what my weight should be for the last ten years or so. Since last March I had several health problems and dental work done. Nothing major but I wasn't eating as much because of it.
I finally have reached my goal plus a few few extra pounds to spare..
You hear over and over how weight loss will lower blood pressure, less strain on joints and help a host of other problems.
My blood pressure hasn't changed a bit, still high and my knees and legs are no better.
I will continue to watch my weight because I don't huff and puff like I use to and my clothes fit better but definitely not for medical reasons.
I think as seniors if you want to keep medical issues in check medication will be needed. Personally I don't care to wolf down meds everyday for the rest of my life. Thats just me.

Back