Attorney Commercials Seen on TV & Parris Island

Been There

We have all seen the commercials on TV from attorneys asking if you were on the Island from ‘53-‘87, you may be able to be compensated if you got cancer due to the water being contaminated.

A friend here where I live asked me if his son could have gotten his diabetes from him since he was on the Island back in 1965. I told him I didn’t really know. I was contacted almost 3 years ago asking me if I or any of my children have diabetes. I told the man that I don’t have any known children and I have never been diagnosed with diabetes.

Thinking about how the question was asked, I think it may be possible for the person who was on the Island not to have gotten diabetes, but it may be possible for him or her to have passed it on to one of their children, so I suggested he speak with an attorney.

Has anyone here experienced anything related to this case?

I was also contacted over 2 years ago. First, it was some lawyer who wanted me to sign onto the lawsuit and then another law firm called me and asked if I had any digestive issues. I told them I had Barrett’s Esophagus. The man on the phone got all excited and told me he could probably get me a million dollars. I told him I was going to pass. I was always told that during these class action suits, it’s the lawyers that get rich.

I was also contacted over 2 years ago. First, it was some lawyer who wanted me to sign onto the lawsuit and then another law firm called me and asked if I had any digestive issues. I told them I had Barrett’s Esophagus. The man on the phone got all excited and told me he could probably get me a million dollars. I told him I was going to pass. I was always told that during these class action suits, it’s the lawyers that get rich.
Good pass, mainly as lawyers aren't supposed to make claims like that.

One of the most important rules is very clearly stated : do not promise a result. It is a very sinister thing for a lawyer to promise a result. Do not get it twisted: lawyers do this to get you to hire them and take your money. They absolutely know that a result is not guaranteed in any case. It’s just impossible – its tantamount to telling the future with certainty. If they tell you different – they are lying.

So it probably wasn't a lawyer, but one of the hirelings who claimed that, simply to get you on board as a client.

We have all seen the commercials on TV from attorneys asking if you were on the Island from ‘53-‘87, you may be able to be compensated if you got cancer due to the water being contaminated.

A friend here where I live asked me if his son could have gotten his diabetes from him since he was on the Island back in 1965. I told him I didn’t really know. I was contacted almost 3 years ago asking me if I or any of my children have diabetes. I told the man that I don’t have any known children and I have never been diagnosed with diabetes.

Thinking about how the question was asked, I think it may be possible for the person who was on the Island not to have gotten diabetes, but it may be possible for him or her to have passed it on to one of their children, so I suggested he speak with an attorney.

Has anyone here experienced anything related to this ca

We see those adverts here in Canada on US networks that are a part of our local cable TV services. The standard rate here is 30 percent for a contingency fee in a Canadian civil suit. That is the allowed rate, set by the various Provincial Law Societies across Canada. JimB.

I've been told the going price for legal services in these type cases is 50%. Of course, guess who gets to pay for fees, and other expenses. Plus, most of the huge reparations awarded by a jury, are usually cut by further court action. I'm disgusted by all those law firms jockeying for a place at the table. It's the Paris Island Gold Rush.

I've been told the going price for legal services in these type cases is 50%. Of course, guess who gets to pay for fees, and other expenses. Plus, most of the huge reparations awarded by a jury, are usually cut by further court action. I'm disgusted by all those law firms jockeying for a place at the table. It's the Paris Island Gold Rush.
One of the limiting factors in Canadian civil court suits is this...IF you sue some one, and YOU lose in court, YOU get to pay THEIR legal costs, as well as YOUR OWN. That keeps the stupid stuff off the court docket , for sure. Civil Trial court Justices here in Canada have the ability to throw out suits that the Justice sees as " trivial and unworthy of attention " JimB.

One of the limiting factors in Canadian civil court suits is this...IF you sue some one, and YOU lose in court, YOU get to pay THEIR legal costs, as well as YOUR OWN. That keeps the stupid stuff off the court docket , for sure. Civil Trial court Justices here in Canada have the ability to throw out suits that the Justice sees as " trivial and unworthy of attention " JimB.
Apparently, the toxic chemicals that leaked into the drinking water do, indeed, cause definite, specific medical conditions. And those symptoms, and illnesses have been linked to the drinking water at Paris Island. So, some do have a legitimate claim for reparations, That being said, in the US, Paris Island is like feeding time at the trough for personal injury attorneys.

I have signed up for a couple of those "class action suits". One was for a faulty coffee pot. I ended up with a coupon for 50% off a new one. Oh, yeah....

The other one, I actually got something like $250, plus they sent my late husband a check for the same amount. I sent it back, asking them to reissue it to me, thinking that it would never happen and darned if they didn't send me another check. It was some sort of thing about the car insurance company we had years ago not paying for the right parts. Apparently, we were automatically a part of the suit unless we opted out.

As was said earlier, the lawyers get their money first AND if there's anything left over, it will be distributed to the thousands of people they signed up. If what's left over isn't worth distributing, sometimes the government allows it to be put into a fund for "consumer education".

It's just another big business for the legal field.

Camp LeJune, Parris Island, not surprising as (with few exceptions) every major military installation and industrial site did not take precautions against ground water contamination, until maybe the early 70s, after the damage was done.
Of course everyone's seen the Asbestosis class action commercials, lawyers want to sign up class action plaintiffs so that they can get a piece of the award.
Where there's money....there's Vulchers lawyers .

5e676a4816503891368e05fbe503e6df--cats-html.jpg

I think if you have an illness, specifically linked to a contaminant in the water, you may have a case to recoup medical costs.
But I think the way those legal ads sound is misguided. They make it sound like if you spent the night at the Camp, and now, after 8 beers, there's a "numbness", you can sue for a yacht, a French chateau, a Swiss bank account, plus a Rolls.

I was part of a class action suit againist a bank. nearly a year passed before the end came... compensation? yuppers you bet..I received a check for $2.35...the total amount was 21 million..

I still get a postcard type ad from an attorney asking to represent me in a lawsuit against the Marines and the government. I toss it into file 13.

Back