Avocado for lunch

Wife mashes them up with a little chopped onion, garlic, cilantro, salt & pepper and just a bit of hot sauce. Great on toast. We bought a "SlimCado" from Florida a while back . . . ok, but pretty flavorless and we didn't care for the texture.

I wouldn't know what's what, was I shopping for avocados. Wouldn't know at what stage to buy one. Think I'll get on the internet and check them out. I've basically been a meat and potatoes guy. I've learned to like broccoli. I think all I've seen or noticed are black. Guess those are the Hass. Do you buy them when hard or soft? I'm going back and re-read this thread.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know what's what, was I shopping for avocados. Wouldn't know at what stage to buy one. Think I'll get on the internet and check them out. I've basically been a meat and potatoes guy. I've learned to like brocally (is that spelled right; I thick not, sorry). I think all I've seen or noticed are black. Guess those are the Hass. Do you buy them when hard or soft? I'm going back and re-read this thread. ( Ihate it when my ignorance shows so clearly).
I like to buy mine firm and if I want to use one that day take it out and leave on counter. You can also leave inside a paper bag and close it, it will ripen sooner. I leave the rest in the vegetable crisper in the ref. Whatever you do, don't cut it and eat it when hard, it's awful (and maybe not edible). I did it once and had to throw out the rest of it. It's supposed to be the ''good'' fat. Ladies, you can smear your face with your "dirty avocado hands" and wash it off after a while, it softens your skin. Honest!

I wouldn't know what's what, was I shopping for avocados. Wouldn't know at what stage to buy one. Think I'll get on the internet and check them out. I've basically been a meat and potatoes guy. I've learned to like brocally (is that spelled right; I thick not, sorry). I think all I've seen or noticed are black. Guess those are the Hass. Do you buy them when hard or soft? I'm going back and re-read this thread. ( Ihate it when my ignorance shows so clearly).

Don't like the larger, smooth Fuerte's. We go through six Hass a week, though.

Cuke-a-mole:

Grate a peeled cucumber into a bowl. Don't grate down to the seeds, if they bother you.
Mash two avocados. Add to the cucumber.
Add pressed garlic clove, turmeric and a pinch of salt.
Add cubed tomato and onion.
Stir well with a wooden spoon.

The cuke gives a lighter mouth feel and taste to "regular" guacamole.

Enjoy!

Here was my lunch today, a big green thin skinned Fuerte avocado.

A little salt, and I'm good. When I was growing up, the Fuerte was the avocado. That's what your neighbor grew and that's what was in the markets. Then, the growers found that the little black Hass was tougher and produced more. So, now that's about all you see. It's a shame, because the Fuerte is just better. Luckily, my son has a Fuerte tree in his back yard, and what the squirrels don't get, we share.

Don
Me and Avocados are BFF....I love them. Sometimes I mix Avocado, Shrimp and Crib meat..sooooo good.

debe16827ddcc4a3b0e871223ac600bb.jpg

My mom loved avocados,so I grew up on them. Besides putting them in salads,we would line up saltine crackers,put some avocado and a little mayo on each and YUMMMMM. When I was 22 and pregnant with my second,I became allergic?sensitive? to avocados and would get horrible stomachaches if I ate even the tiniest speck. Took me a long time to even figure out what it was that was causing it-I thought it was the spices from Mexican food,since that was when it first happened and when I usually ate avocado.

That lasted for 20 years,and after trying over and over again with the same painful results,I was suddenly able to eat them again.For 20 years.Then it happened again,but only for a year or so.Apparently,the 20 year thing is common-who knew? Also,I have now had it happen with raw almonds. I can have a few,but more than that and I am in trouble. Did you know they are related? Kiwis too,but I`ve never tried one.

I love avocados, too ! Are the Fuente ones those really large avocados you sometimes see in the stores ? We don’t get them here very often, mostly just the little Haas ones.
I think that an avocado is one of those things that is delicious when it is just perfect, and horrible otherwise. Too green and they are hard an bitter, too ripe and they are mushy and yucky tasting (and an ugly color, too ! ).
A perfect avocado should be a beautiful shade of green inside, and just soft enough that the skin dents if you push it gently, but not soft enough to be squishy . If a person has never had one, it is best to have a friend that loves avocados pick the first one out for you, and then you are sure to get an actual taste of what the flavor should be.

Back