Baby Names

What's with the naming babies after states: Montanan, Wyoming, Idaho. Arizona's
Where are the Massachusetts's, Minnesota's, Long Island's Brooklyn's, Yonkers' Yada, Yada, yada...😰

There's always Tex🤠🐴🦓
My name is Washington D.C., just call me DC, never AC-DC, got it?

I was born in Scotland in the mid 50's... I've found 100 of the most popular baby names for 1950...

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/statistics/name2.pdf

The first 12 Female names are members of my family...( mother, grandmother, aunts, sisters cousins etc...)... the first 16 Male names are also members of my family...
My name isn't even in the top 100... yet it's not an unusual name (BTW it's not Holly) :D

One time I was having a conversation with a nurse who was telling me about a time she had worked in a neonatal unit at a different hospital. She was speaking with a new mother who'd given birth to twins. She asked her if she'd decided on names yet and was informed by the woman, that the hospital had given them names already--Twinna and Twinnbee. Thinking that was odd, she had looked down at the chart to see the woman's name followed by name of babies: Twin A, Twin B.

One time I was having a conversation with a nurse who was telling me about a time she had worked in a neonatal unit at a different hospital. She was speaking with a new mother who'd given birth to twins. She asked her if she'd decided on names yet and was informed by the woman, that the hospital had given them names already--Twinna and Twinnbee. Thinking that was odd, she had looked down at the chart to see the woman's name followed by name of babies: Twin A, Twin B.
When I lived in London I knew a couple, he was from Egypt and their first child was named after him: "Rif'at."
His wife was English and her sister had named her baby boy, "Rafferty." Neither family ever seemed to realise that those two cousins had the sobriquet, Rif Raff.

When I lived in London I knew a couple, he was from Egypt and their first child was named after him: "Rif'at."
His wife was English and her sister had named her baby boy, "Rafferty." Neither family ever seemed to realise that those two cousins had the sobriquet, Rif Raff.

Rif Raff: ROTFLMAO

tenor.gif

Dad named all his sons after former presidents with no preference for their first names over their last names. He named me Franklin, Roosevelt's first name, but he named my oldest brother Grant, and my youngest brother McKinley.

Dad started calling me Mick when I was a toddler and it stuck. So everyone in my family calls me Mick, but to everyone else, including myself, I'm Frank.

I doubt the name Franklin was ever popular, even during Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency.

I was born in Scotland in the mid 50's... I've found 100 of the most popular baby names for 1950...

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files/statistics/name2.pdf

The first 12 Female names are members of my family...( mother, grandmother, aunts, sisters cousins etc...)... the first 16 Male names are also members of my family...
My name isn't even in the top 100... yet it's not an unusual name (BTW it's not Holly) :D
Actually there are some girls (and maybe boys) named Brooklyn. I remember the first time I saw Dakota Fanning. I knew she was destined to be a star.
The woman who plays the part of Martin Sheen and Jane Fonda’s daughter in “Grace & Frankie” is Brooklyn Decker

Dad named all his sons after former presidents with no preference for their first names over their last names. He named me Franklin, Roosevelt's first name, but he named my oldest brother Grant, and my youngest brother McKinley.

Dad started calling me Mick when I was a toddler and it stuck. So everyone in my family calls me Mick, but to everyone else, including myself, I'm Frank.

I doubt the name Franklin was ever popular, even during Franklin D. Roosevelt's presidency.
I love the name Frank because it was my Dad's name. I also have 3 nephews named Frank and a couple of Uncles and cousins named Frank.

Mick is an extremely popular name in the UK, especially among the Irish

Last edited:
This thread reminded me that my Dad's parents' names were the same as my mom's parents. My Dad had 3 sisters with the same names as 3 of my Mom's sisters. My Dad's name and one of my Mom's brothers had the same name. Weird!
that's incredible!!

Both my grandmothers, and my eldest aunt had the same names, and my mother gave it to me as a middle name

My ex-wife and I agreed to name my daughter after the ex's maternal grandmother. It's a very old-fashioned name and it's still pretty uncommon. When my daughter was about 12, she begged me to change the spelling to "Mod." 😜

(She likes her name just fine now)

I was just thinking about names. My Mom's name was Elizabeth. When all the granddaughters were born they got the middle name Elizabeth and now all the great-granddaughter's middle names are Elizabeth. My mom picked my sister's name years before my sister was born. She didn't pick out a name for me because she didn't think I would be born because she lost my twin in her early months of pregnancy. So she named me after the nurse that helped during my delivery.

Back