BACK PAIN: Seeking Advice

Verisure

Someone, please advise me.

I suffered from acute lower back pain for many years. They disappeared almost entirely until last year. The thing is, if I sleep on the sofa I wake with no pain in my back but if I sleep on my bed I’m in deep trouble.

I’ve always used a very firm mattress so last year when the problem resurfaced I switched mattresses with my wife thinking the softer one might cure the problem. Nope. It made no difference at all so I’ve been sleeping on the sofa for about a year now. Last night I thought maybe I could go back to the bedroom and sleep next to my wife again. Oh no! It was bad. So tonight I’ll be back on the sofa. But I don’t want to spend the rest of my life sleeping in the living room and at this rate, I won’t be able to go abroad whenever the Corona thing finally lets us travel again.

You’re probably thinking, “Go to a chiropractor!” and I guess that’s what I’ll have to do but if you’ve got a good idea or two … I’d be very thankful and willing to try whatever you suggest.

Respects,
Verisure

I've been sleeping on a Tempur Pedic for 17 years. I tried it out of desperation because of low back pain. I'd get up & walk around every two hours for relief. I went through two Serta beds - one firm & one with a pillow top. Neither helped.
After a week with the Tempur Pedic, I've forgotten what back & neck pain feels like. I'll get a minor backache maybe once or twice a year when I overdo yard work.

I think the problem is not just a soft or a firm mattress; the problem is that our back is curved like an "S" & a firm mattress cannot shape itself to the curve in our back & a soft mattress will allow sagging in the heavier areas. A memory foam mattress reacts to body heat & conforms perfectly to the back within a few minutes; that's how it works.
I noticed that while lying on a regular mattress, I can slip my hand under my lower back due to the gap, but on a Tempur Pedic mattress, there is no gap. I also noted that with my previous mattress, everything that was on the bed (clothes, magazines, TV remotes, etc.) was on the floor by morning, which indicates lots of movement during sleep. With the Tempur Pedic, nothing is on the floor. And no numbness in the arms, hands & shoulders, regardless of what sleep position I'm in.

There would seem to be something about the sofa which suits you better. You need to figure out what it is. I also sleep better on the sofa but I think it's because there is more 'give' in it. I can curl up on my side and the sofa moulds itself to me, while my mattress is more rigid. Also, the sofa is narrower so I tend to stay in one position all night.

I've been sleeping on a Tempur Pedic for 17 years. I tried it out of desperation because of low back pain. I'd get up & walk around every two hours for relief. I went through two Serta beds - one firm & one with a pillow top. Neither helped.
After a week with the Tempur Pedic, I've forgotten what back & neck pain feels like. I'll get a minor backache maybe once or twice a year when I overdo yard work.

I think the problem is not just a soft or a firm mattress; the problem is that our back is curved like an "S" & a firm mattress cannot shape itself to the curve in our back & a soft mattress will allow sagging in the heavier areas. A memory foam mattress reacts to body heat & conforms perfectly to the back within a few minutes; that's how it works.
I noticed that while lying on a regular mattress, I can slip my hand under my lower back due to the gap, but on a Tempur Pedic mattress, there is no gap. I also noted that with my previous mattress, everything that was on the bed (clothes, magazines, TV remotes, etc.) was on the floor by morning, which indicates lots of movement during sleep. With the Tempur Pedic, nothing is on the floor. And no numbness in the arms, hands & shoulders, regardless of what sleep position I'm in.
So did you have a particular style? Firm...soft...you know what I mean? Or are they all just the same or what?

I have a number of back problems. I sleep best on the Purple mattress I bought a couple years ago. https://purple.com

I used an inversion table for many years. Hung upside down at about 70-80 degrees for 10 minutes or so twice a day. It helped immensely. I sold the inversion table after my last surgery because they put metal rods in my back that time and I didn't want to stress the hardware.

Maybe it's your wife. ;)
Seriously though, perhaps the mattress in the bed is being deformed in such a way by the weight of your wife.
Actually that's a very good point, it could be that buying 2 single beds with different mattresses or a king size with 2 zipped mattresses of different weights may resolve the problem of being able to sleep in the same room...

There would seem to be something about the sofa which suits you better. You need to figure out what it is. I also sleep better on the sofa but I think it's because there is more 'give' in it. I can curl up on my side and the sofa moulds itself to me, while my mattress is more rigid. Also, the sofa is narrower so I tend to stay in one position all night.
Every single word you've written is exactly the thoughts I have myself. :)

This what you say about "movement" during the night looks like it could be important. I've had that thought too and Rosemarie also mentioned it. I think there is something in it. Did you buy your Tempur Pedic just to try it on your own or was it recommended by professionals ... and what was the reason they recommended it?

I have a number of back problems. I sleep best on the Purple mattress I bought a couple years ago. https://purple.com

I used an inversion table for many years. Hung upside down at about 70-80 degrees for 10 minutes or so twice a day. It helped immensely. I sold the inversion table after my last surgery because they put metal rods in my back that time and I didn't want to stress the hardware.
I don't know what a purple mattress is but I'll look it up.

Maybe it's your wife. ;)
Seriously though, perhaps the mattress in the bed is being deformed in such a way by the weight of your wife.
Ha-ha! I have no bedsprings (I use foam mattresses) and my wife is much, much lighter than I.

Actually that's a very good point, it could be that buying 2 single beds with different mattresses or a king size with 2 zipped mattresses of different weights may resolve the problem of being able to sleep in the same room...
We have a large bed with two foam mattresses side by side. One very firm (mine until recently) and one softer (my wife's until I decided to switch them).

So did you have a particular style? Firm...soft...you know what I mean? Or are they all just the same or what?
At the time I bought it, they only offered one style. Now, there are many. But they still have a home trial. I don't know how long it is now, but when I bought it it was 4 months.

At the time I bought it, they only offered one style. Now, there are many. But they still have a home trial. I don't know how long it is now, but when I bought it it was 4 months.
May I ask what style yours is just as a reference point?

This what you say about "movement" during the night looks like it could be important. I've had that thought too and Rosemarie also mentioned it. I think there is something in it. Did you buy your Tempur Pedic just to try it on your own or was it recommended by professionals ... and what was the reason they recommended it?
I heard about it but no one recommended it. The doctor only recommended drugs.
I was up most of the night for months because I could only sleep for an hour or two at a time. I was watching TV at 4am & that 30-minute commercial was on. I figured, "What the heck; I can return it if it doesn't work." Besides, I was desperate.
My pain didn't improve - until a week on the bed. I woke up, thinking it was around 2am because that's when I'd get up & walk around the house to relieve pain. I looked at the clock & saw that it was 7am & NO back pain. I couldn't believe it.
The bed seemed to "fix" my back; maybe it re-aligns the discs over time during sleep.

That may apply to the cheaper "Imitation" memory foam mattresses I've seen over the past few years. There may be a difference in design or quality.
My Tempur Pedic's firmness/softness is totally dependent on temperature. In winter, the mattress is much too firm, almost like a wooden board when I first lie on it. When the room is cold, it takes 30-40 minutes for it to conform to me. After that, body heat makes it mold to whoever is on it perfectly. In fact, if you lie on it, then get up, you'll see a perfect detailed mold of yourself on the mattress for a few seconds - even indentations where your elbow & heels were.
In summer, the mattress is softer & it conforms to me in a few seconds.
I don't know if the imitation mattresses work as well.

That may apply to the cheaper "Imitation" memory foam mattresses I've seen over the past few years. There may be a difference in design or quality.
My Tempur Pedic's firmness/softness is totally dependent on temperature. In winter, the mattress is much too firm, almost like a wooden board when I first lie on it. When the room is cold, it takes 30-40 minutes for it to conform to me. After that, body heat makes it mold to whoever is on it perfectly. In fact, if you lie on it, then get up, you'll see a perfect detailed mold of yourself on the mattress for a few seconds - even indentations where your elbow & heels were.
In summer, the mattress is softer & it conforms to me in a few seconds.
I don't know if the imitation mattresses work as well.
What style is yours Win?

I've heard about the purple mattress & pillows. Looks like a similar idea - material that conforms to whoever is sleeping on it.

I heard about it but no one recommended it. The doctor only recommended drugs.
I was up most of the night for months because I could only sleep for an hour or two at a time. I was watching TV at 4am & that 30-minute commercial was on. I figured, "What the heck; I can return it if it doesn't work." Besides, I was desperate.
My pain didn't improve - until a week on the bed. I woke up, thinking it was around 2am because that's when I'd get up & walk around the house to relieve pain. I looked at the clock & saw that it was 7am & NO back pain. I couldn't believe it.
The bed seemed to "fix" my back; maybe it re-aligns the discs over time during sleep.
I have also had the up-every-hour experience (for different reasons) and it's hell so I know what you mean. But man that's great that you solved your problem! (y) You give me optimism that hope is possible! It's a shame about doctors and their short-cut drugs remedy for everything under the sun. Over here they recommend Alvedon even before you "say ah".

Back