Bad 70's Outfits

I had a pair of "elephant bells" jeans left over from college in the 60's.........wide flared bottoms, decorated with little mirrors and tiny bells. Hippy to the max.

In 1970, I converted them to maternity jeans and wore them with a flowing embroidered Turkish top. Got lots of compliments.

Unfortunately, I wore the ensemble to the base one day. My husband was called into the C.O.'s office the next day and told, "Tell your @$*!* wife to stop parading around like a $@*&%# hippy and wear some decent clothes" (except there was a lot more swearing).

I never wore them to the base again, needless to say.

Let's not forget the mini-skirt!

What other article of clothing made it so hard to pick something up off the floor? Bend? Nope. Stoop? Nope. Crouch down? No way. The only way to get a file out of the bottom file cabinet drawer was an awkward sideways curtsey guaranteed to hurt your knees and send Queen Victoria spinning in her grave.

And when worn with the huge clunky shoes that were popular, you looked like a long-stemmed plant in a flower pot.

c325d6ae549e739d255fd435892bba00--mens-fashion-vintage-fashion.jpg

One of me at the cast party from the high school production of South Pacific circa 1968, with my girlfriend of time. The necklace I'm wearing was the boars tooth necklace that was a prop for my character Luther Billis. The other was a portrait pick I had taken for my folks. It was on their mantel until they passed. I have it somewhere, this one was in an old scrap book I have. Kinda looks like it was pulled out of a puddle. I don't have many picks of me in uniform other than a few from boot camp. I always thought 60's/70's fashion was kind of fun. Not that I ever really worked at it.

Mini skirts were in fashion during my last year of high school. We were also allowed to wear jeans... no holes, no hip hiphuggers, and no midriff tops. I wasn't allowed to wear either to school. I could wear skirts as long as they hit the floor when I kneeled down, lol! So I rolled them up at the waist when at school and rolled 'em down before I got home. After high school, when I went to college, it was a different story. Then I wore what I wanted to wear. Free at last! I wore halter tops, tube tops, crop tops, peasant tops, patterned tights, mini skirts, platform shoes, hiphugger bell-bottoms and, yes, hot pants! Those were the days, my friends! 😊

Miniskirts in 60s and 70s (38 pics)

Le Fashion Blog 1970s 70s Street Style Vintage
Le Fashion Blog 1970s 70s Street Style Vintage Photos Pant Suit Stripes Wide Leg Pants Via Tres Blase
Le Fashion Blog 1970s 70s Street Style Vintage Photos Shaggy Fur Trimmed Suede Coats Flared Denim Wide Leg Pants Via Tres Blase
Le Fashion Blog 1970s 70s Street Style Vintage Photos Print Wide Leg Pants Bell Bottoms Via Tres Blase
Red knee socks with platform clogs, lol! Going my way? I'm sure she had NP getting a ride! 😁
platform shoe hitchhiker

My pants weren't quite as "hot" as these, no cheeks showing! acute
Le Fashion Blog 1970s 70s Street Style Vintage High Waisted Shorts Corduroy Crop Top Gingham Photos Via Tres Blase
Le Fashion Blog 1970s 70s Street Style Vintage Photos Floral Print Tie Crop Top Denim Jean Shorts Via Tres Blase
Pink bell-bottoms, pink platforms, and a pink 1973 Volvo. good
29_1973 Volvo

Bella ✌️

"Lyrics

… Once there was a little girl who lived next to me
And she loved a sailor boy, he was only three
Now he's on a battleship in his sailor suit
Just a great big sailor but she thinks he's very cute
… With his bell bottom trousers, coat of navy blue
She loves her sailor and he loves her too
… When her sailor boy's away on the ocean blue
Soldier boys all flirt with her but to him she's true