Bad Knees?

Jules

SF VIP
Bad knees seem to be contagious with seniors. I ran into 5 neighbours today while walking. One doesn’t have bad knees, but her husband does. My issue has mostly subsided. My husband finally went to a physio today. Tendinitis.

There sure are lots of ways for our knees to fail. Anyone else have knee problems?

My right knee is the one that gives me trouble.
If I am out working in the yard or garden, and I am leaning down and bend the knee, it clicks and clacks and moves around. However, it is doing better at not collapsing that it used to do.
The doctor told me that I needed a replacement, but they could not do that because of my heart; so I started doing water exercises when we went to the fitness center, and that enabled me to strengthen my knees without the strain of doing regular exercise.
Now that I have changed my diet to the whole food, plant based, oil free McDougal diet, I have noticed that most of my arthritis stiffness is also gone, and I can get up and down steps better , too.
That is the knee that I have injured several times (car accident, horseback riding accidents), so the poor thing has a perfect right to hurt and not work right any more.

I can just see the ad for some new miracle cure for bad knees: From bad knees to bee's knees in only 30 minutes!

My wife was hit and dragged by a car when she was a kid. Over the course of our marriage, she has now had 3 knee replacements and as a result of these, developed a severe case of lymphedema, developed blood clots that went to her lungs so she has to be on blood thinner forever, developed severe infections, and on and on. Nature seems to have a way of probing for and finding weakness in us, and exploiting that over and over again. Bad knees can be absolutely miserable and certainly completely life altering.

Tony

My right knee is the one that gives me trouble.
If I am out working in the yard or garden, and I am leaning down and bend the knee, it clicks and clacks and moves around. However, it is doing better at not collapsing that it used to do.
The doctor told me that I needed a replacement, but they could not do that because of my heart; so I started doing water exercises when we went to the fitness center, and that enabled me to strengthen my knees without the strain of doing regular exercise.
Now that I have changed my diet to the whole food, plant based, oil free McDougal diet, I have noticed that most of my arthritis stiffness is also gone, and I can get up and down steps better , too.
That is the knee that I have injured several times (car accident, horseback riding accidents), so the poor thing has a perfect right to hurt and not work right any more.
Yes that's the pity I can't get to the pool like I used to every day in Spain, Yvonne ..and the adults only leisure centre with the pool is only open for an hour for adults, very early morning...

Yes..I have two arthritic knees....putting off knee replacement for as long as possible.
They supposedly only last ten years.
Sorry to hear the issues with your knees.
Not sure if it's a case of where you live or the doctor you have.
I have knee replacements on both knees......first done in 2014, the other in 2016....i was 56 and 58.
Joint pain was instantly gone.....any pain was from muscles, nerves which were healing, and rehab.....rehab wasn't really painful.....was hard work to get the best results.
Mine are porcelain....no screws....used cement instead.
Was told if i took good care, and avoided certain things, i may get 30 years.
Hope you consider replacements......getting more than one check over with different surgeons may ease your mind......i had a great surgeon.

Why have a pool and only have it open for an hour every day ? Or do you mean that it is open longer hours, but only the one hour for adults only, @hollydolly ?
We have one of those little intex pools in the back yard in the summer, and that works great for suntanning and water exercises, even though it is not large enough to actually swim in it. In the hot and humid summer weather here, it is wonderful just to get into the pool and cool off for a while.

I can do things like “squats” in the water that I could not possibly balance well enough to do otherwise, plus I would get down and not be able to get back up.
When I first started, I could barely do it at all, but now I can actually squat down in the water, and can do it better out of the water than I used to be able to do.
I think that as I lose more weight, I should be able to do this kind of movements even better.

Sorry to hear the issues with your knees.
Not sure if it's a case of where you live or the doctor you have.
I have knee replacements on both knees......first done in 2014, the other in 2016....i was 56 and 58.
Joint pain was instantly gone.....any pain was from muscles, nerves which were healing, and rehab.....rehab wasn't really painful.....was hard work to get the best results.
Mine are porcelain....no screws....used cement instead.
Was told if i took good care, and avoided certain things, i may get 30 years.
Hope you consider replacements......getting more than one check over with different surgeons may ease your mind......i had a great surgeon.

What exactly were you told to avoid ?

Bad knees seem to be contagious with seniors. I ran into 5 neighbours today while walking. One doesn’t have bad knees, but her husband does. My issue has mostly subsided. My husband finally went to a physio today. Tendinitis.

There sure are lots of ways for our knees to fail. Anyone else have knee problems?
I got a prosthetic knee last year on the left side and the right one is acting up now. I'm hoping to cure the right one with physiotherapy. I try to walk 3 miles every day but some days it's just too much.

Ah, yes, the good ol' tendinitis. A subject dear to my heart. My knees, elbows, wrists, shoulders suffer from overuse due to . . . too much surfing (Too Much Surfing?:oops:) without properly warming up and stretching before jumping into that cold Pacific. Then, putting the body through extreme moves over and over plus enduring the requisite pounding during the rinse cycle rag doll experience. Good Times!

Finally got physical therapy from a doc years ago and learned about strengthening the muscles that support the joints. Hit the gym and everything improved immensely. Never 100% but much much better.

Then . . . the gym jacked up the rate so no more pushing my weight around :)ROFLMAO:) and no more swimming laps. It was getting way too crowded anyway and became a meet meat market. Now, the pretty ladies prancing around smelling good in their skimpy outfits would ordinarily be welcome but while seriously working out they were not only ridiculous but a dangerous distraction. I actually had to close my eyes.

Now, I'm lazy again and everything hurts. Asi es la vida.....

I sincerely hope you all get the proper medical care and much needed relief. (y)

Last edited:
Running, jumping, any heavy lifting.
Also, exercises, stretching for a lifetime to prevent stiffness.....nothing time consuming....just takes a minute or three when needed.
They don't come with grease nipples.

So you were told to avoid the same things you would ......... if you were being cautious with your natural knee ?

Are you sure .... you gained by having the replacement operation ?

I mean, IMO if one cannot return to 'normal' ? what's the point ? Unless of course, after the surgery one is absolutely pain free .

So you were told to avoid the same things you would ......... if you were being cautious with your natural knee ?

Are you sure .... you gained by having the replacement operation ?

I mean, IMO if one cannot return to 'normal' ? what's the point ? Unless of course, after the surgery one is absolutely pain free .
Like i said....after surgery, you are pain free with the new joint, other than muscle and nerve recovery.
I only mentioned 3 things recommended to avoid.
We're on different pages on this subject......everyone has their own opinion.....thank you for yours.
I will leave it at that.

Like i said....after surgery, you are pain free with the new joint, other than muscle and nerve recovery.
I have a prosthetic knee and I think your description (this time) is correct. The joint is fine but the muscles and nerves around it aren't "normal". I've only had the surgery one year now and I don't know what to expect further down the line but as it is now my knee gets tired and it aches after about 2 to 3 miles walk and going down the stairs is dodgy although going up is not bad.

Back around 1978 to late 1980's my knees hurt when I had to kneel to work on any heavy equipment. The pain was so intense I had to support myself for a little while using my arms to hold me up.

My wife worked with a woman of Dutch heritage. They were talking about husbands other stuff women talk about. My wife mentioned my knee pain problem. The woman said to get a bottle of Gin & a box of golden raisins. Instruction was to soak the raisins for about a month in the gin then take a tablespoon full once a day of the brandy like mix. I figured it couldn't hurt to try, mostly because I like gin, raisins & a good brandy.

I don't know how long it took but the pain went away. Maybe a year after I noticed the pain was no longer there I stopped the mixing. Probably early 1990 was when I stopped & I haven't had any pain since. Moving to the dry southwest was part of our plan to try to minimize arthritic pain. Arthritic pain free & age 80 knock on wood that it continues.

I looked up the gin & raisin formula to see if it was a real thing or just my mind fooling my body. This web site explains the reason but presents the use a different way.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/gin-soaked-raisins-truth-fable-pain-relief-shannon-brown

Back around 1978 to late 1980's my knees hurt when I had to kneel to work on any heavy equipment. The pain was so intense I had to support myself for a little while using my arms to hold me up.

My wife worked with a woman of Dutch heritage. They were talking about husbands other stuff women talk about. My wife mentioned my knee pain problem. The woman said to get a bottle of Gin & a box of golden raisins. Instruction was to soak the raisins for about a month in the gin then take a tablespoon full once a day of the brandy like mix. I figured it couldn't hurt to try, mostly because I like gin, raisins & a good brandy.

I don't know how long it took but the pain went away. Maybe a year after I noticed the pain was no longer there I stopped the mixing. Probably early 1990 was when I stopped & I haven't had any pain since. Moving to the dry southwest was part of our plan to try to minimize arthritic pain. Arthritic pain free & age 80 knock on wood that it continues.

I looked up the gin & raisin formula to see if it was a real thing or just my mind fooling my body. This web site explains the reason but presents the use a different way.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/gin-soaked-raisins-truth-fable-pain-relief-shannon-brown
😄 I think you misunderstood. My wife is from Slovakia and she says you are supposed to drink the gin and kneel on the boxes of raisins. But hey .... if it worked your way who am I to criticize you? 😁

😄 I think you misunderstood. My wife is from Slovakia and she says you are supposed to drink the gin and kneel on the boxes of raisins. But hey .... if it worked your way who am I to criticize you? 😁
You know I was only joking, right?

You know I was only joking, right?
The only thing I take seriously is when a hand grenade is tossed my way.

I didn't post to claim that gin & raisins is a remedy for everyone, just wanted to share that what I thought at the time sounded far fetched actually worked for me.

Since then I've experimented with figs, dates, dried cherries in gin. All 3 make a nice brandy like flavored drink. Not for knee pain relief just to see if dried fruit could be used to flavor gin. Overall Jamerson triple distilled Irish whiskey or spiced rum with coke beats sweet drinks.

Last edited:
My knowledge referring to joint replacements are....
Pain is caused from....bone on bone.....cartilage is worn down or gone
Many reasons why this happens.
I had no cartilage left on both knees, therefore every step was pain.
My hips have the same story.....both need done....could have had them done 2 to 3 years ago.....had passed it up....now i'm sorry for that decision.
Rehab for hips have more restrictions.....live alone.....have 3 dogs.
Homecare is available......help with the dogs somewhat hard.

Everyone who I know that has had a joint replacement wonders why they waited so long.
Same here.
My wait was because of age, 56 and 58.
Used to be that you needed to be much older than i was to qualify......things have certainly changed.....thank goodness.

Back