Baked Sweet Potatoes

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I ordered a sweet potato to be delivered and they brought me a whole 3# bag of them! So I did my research looking for the nutritional benefits and here is a link to that:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sweet-potato-benefits#section1

Here are some sites with recipes for baked sweet potatoes:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/photos/our-best-healthy-sweet-potato-recipes

Here is also a way to bake sweet potatoes:

How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Learning how to bake sweet potatoes in the oven is one of the easiest things to do!

• Foil: You can cook them in foil but don’t have to (I prefer a crisper skin so I don’t bother with foil).
  • Prep: Season and poke the sweet potato with a fork a few times (to allow steam to escape).
  • Bake: for about 1 hour or until tender when the sweet potato is pierced with a fork.
If you use the flesh in another recipe, you can allow it to cool completely and then peel the skin off.

How to Bake Sweet Potatoes in Foil: Use the exact method as above wrapping in foil before cooking. The skin will be softer if foil wrapped.

How Long to Bake Sweet Potatoes
A higher oven temperature when making baked sweet potatoes gives a crisper exterior.

If you have other items in the oven, like Oven Fried Chicken or Lemon Roast Chicken, the temperature will be at 375°F which is what I bake sweet potatoes at. If you’re cooking at a different temperature, adjust to the cooking times below.

Baked Sweet Potato Cooking Times

• 350°F 60 to 75 minutes
  • 375°F 50 to 60 minutes
  • 400°F 40 to 50 minutes
Keep in mind sweet potatoes can vary in size which can change the cooking time slightly. You’ll want to make sure they’re soft when poked with a fork.

Sweet potatoes are such a versatile vegetable and can be used in many recipes.

What do you put on a baked sweet potato if you choose to enjoy it by itself? I like to top it just like I would top a regular baked potato. A little butter and sour cream is so delicious!

Here is more:

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/baked-sweet-potato/

Last edited:
I roast or bake sweet potatoes all the time. I don't add any butter to them because they're sweet enough, just salt and freshly ground black pepper... and they are so low in calories...
I have not had a baked sweet potato but after I bake one I'm going to put just a little butter on it and some pepper. I'm on a low salt diet so I'll skip the salt.

I love orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, sometimes called yams. Sometimes I bake them, but usually I slice and cover them, put them in the microwave for about 4 minutes, and keep them in the fridge. They're great in scrambles, over salads, or on their own.

When baking a couple, I typically get the process started in the microwave. Pierce, then nuke for a few minutes. Finish up in the toaster oven. Very yummy with a smidge of vegan butter.

I cut a peeled one into rounds about 1/4 inch thick, drizzle with olive oil, toss several times.

I put them in layers alternating with a bacon bits and shredded Havarti cheese on a no stick foil and then cover tightly with another piece of the no stick foil and tightly wrap to seal.

Bake it along with something else in the oven at the same time. Once baked will keep for a few days.

Back