Bakin' Bacon

applecruncher

SF VIP
I usually cook bacon this way. No mess/splatter, easy clean up, and still get that bacon smell. After I drain I put the bacon in a zip loc bag and store in freezer …. at breakfast just take out a few pieces.

http://www.food.com/recipe/barefoot-contessas-oven-roasted-bacon-208501

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a sheet pan.
3. Lay the bacon on top of the parchment paper.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the bacon is really crispy.
5. Drain on paper towels and serve.

Holly, just pop in microwave for about 20 seconds.
Also, when you bake it in the oven you don't have to watch/turn it and it cooks more evenly.

We were recently talking about trying to make our bacon that way instead of frying it. We only have it a few times a year, nitrate free. If you don't have parchment paper, can you use something else?

Hmmmm. I don't know SB. I buy a roll of parchment paper (pre-cut) and it lasts me about a year. It can be used for other things. I noticed a while back that some pizza places and bakeries use it to line the box.

I've also dcut parchment into small round pieces and use to line cupcake and muffin pans.

I fold a few sheets of newspaper to fit the micro oven. Then lay a paper towel on it; then lay a few
strips of bacon on it...then another paper towel. Stick it in the micro oven for about a minute or more
(Depending on how well done you want it).

When it's the way you want it; put it on your plate.

Then wad up the greasy paper and toss it in the trash. No greasy pans to clean.

I fold a few sheets of newspaper to fit the micro oven. Then lay a paper towel on it; then lay a few
strips of bacon on it...then another paper towel. Stick it in the micro oven for about a minute or more
(Depending on how well done you want it).

When it's the way you want it; put it on your plate.

Then wad up the greasy paper and toss it in the trash. No greasy pans to clean.

Falcon,

Excellent idea with the newspaper!
We had been using MANY sheets of paper toweling when nuking the bacon (when in a rush) to absorb the grease.

Your way, I'd only need maybe 2 paper towels , one under and one over. I time it one minute per slice.

Thanks!

I found that cooking raw bacon in microwave results in a rubbery texture. Prefer oven (or fried).

I even tried Hormel microwave bacon that kind of puffs up in a bubble in the container (pricey, and also rubbery...not quite right - for my tastes).

I don't eat bacon often, and when I do I want it to be special. :) btw Holly, in a zip loc it keep for a long time in freezer - tastes great when heated for a few seconds and I love the aroma in the morning.

I like my bacon really crisp and cook it three minutes in the microwave using a ceramic bacon cooker that collects all the grease & no splatters to the microwave. I have to let the bacon sit for two minutes to cool down.

Applecruncher, we had a package of nitrate-free bacon left over from our camping trip, and decided to make it in the oven rather than the fry pan. I just laid the bacon on the oven pan with the top slotted part that fits over the bottom section.

Well, gotta say, we'll be makin' bacon like this from now on, it turned out very good, crispy and tasty, just like when frying...only probably a lot healthier. Also, the 12 oz. package all fit on that oven pan, with the frying pan, I have to cook some and remove it to add more. Thanks for the tip! :cool2:

Glad it worked, SB. :)

I use parchment on a cookie sheet because it makes the clean up easier. Also sometimes cut pieces in half before baking because I like a smaller piece, but that's just personal preference. And yes, most "pounds" are about 12 oz these days.

OK Jim...
I must say I absolutely don't like bacon at all..... Although I do cook bacon almost every day for my wife to have with her omelette for breakfast...
May I also say it is TURKEY BACON !!!!!! No grease when fried .....

Please remember we don't eat pork of any kind for religious reasons..... Turkey (or chicken) bacon is the best substitute for her.......

As long as I am not eating it I don't mind the smell of bacon cooking. Bacon is always a treat for me when I eat out for breakfast because i do not smell it cooking.

Back