Bananas, how ripe is too ripe?

PamfromTx

SF VIP
I was determined not to throw away 3 bananas that were in the fridge since about a week ago. Well, in my old age, I've become quite sensitive to the texture and the look of foods. I gag when trying to eat foods that are lumpy or have texture. I kept examining the bananas and would visualize maggots in them as I mashed them. LOL

Do bananas rot in the fridge? In a weeks' time?

My plan was to have made banana bread. I don't buy bananas often cause I hate how they ripe so fast.

Last edited:
I like Ripe bananas... green bananas are indigestible.. and yellow bananas tend to be too firm for me... .The only trouble is once my hand of bananas start to go ripe, then I have to eat them quickly otherwise they turn black in a day or 2.

I sometimes eat half a banana and keep the other half in the fridge, but then I'll throw it away after leaving it there for more than a couple of days ... ...

I will only eat them if they are almost completely yellow, with a little green on the stem. Spotted bananas are sweeter so they go into Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins or a Banana Nutella Bundt Cake which is crazy good.

My wife is a banana "fan", and very picky about how ripe they are. As a result, I always seem to have a couple she considers "over ripe" to take with me for a snack when I go out for some outdoor chores. So long as they aren't so mushy that they fall apart when trying to peel them, that's good enough for me.

When is a banana too ripe?

When you have to peel it over a plate and must start it from the end opposite the stem, as it no longer has the structural integrity to remain as a solid mass as the peel is removed.

What's it good for at that point? Freeze it and it makes great "nice cream" faux ice cream.

Addendum: Of course the frozen banana is also perfect for use in baked goods.

From hard as a rock green to black bananas taste great.

Green hard as a rock is one of the main ingredients in making pasteles. Banana leaves available at a Mexican super market here for 50 cents a lb. Usually make about 30 at a time to freeze for future meals.

PUERTO RICAN PASTELES | What are Puerto Rican Pasteles

https://www.puertoricanpasteles.com
In Puerto Rico, Pasteles are a cherished culinary recipe. Puerto Rican Pasteles are much more labor intensive than any other. The masa consists of a combination of grated green banana, green plantain, taro, and calabazas (tropical pumpkins), and is seasoned with liquid from the meat mixture, milk, and annatto oil (annatto seeds infused with olive oil).

Nope, I make the bread, with walnuts!! except for Hollydolly, no walnuts for her LOL. Not that hard to make once you get yourself off the couch and in the kitchen. The stand mixer does all the work once the bananas are mashed.

Yes, you can freeze bananas......I make breakfast muffins with spice cake mix, bananas, brand cereal or oats, nuts, dates or raisins and spices.

Last edited:

Back