Beautiful Old Cars

Would have to go thru old pictures to find some, but my husband restored a couple '52-53 Hudson Hornets. They drove like tanks!

iu

.. and also a Studebaker Hawk .. his prize car. That car was bought by a guy in Detroit for a museum save.

These threads always get my juices going

A couple decades ago, I’d considered getting a little Bugeye Sprite

Then I sat in one…drove it

Too fat

Then, lately, I picked up a Willys pickup

Not even a beater

Just a rolling chassis with a body

It still sits there…mocking me

willys 50.jpg

To get it in cruising mode, it’ll cost around $10K to $15K

Not gonna to that

Not a good investment

….aaand, I can just see me, potting around in that thing, and my lady goes down

That ain’t gonna happen

Over the years, the cabin living years, I lost 65 lbs

And now, living back in town, considering picking up that little Bugeye

They are a decent investment

And so freakin’ fun…here in sun country
austin-healey-00009.jpg

austin-healey-00009-5.jpg

ley_Sprite_For_Sale_Interior_1-vi.jpg

Yeah, it’s on my bucket list

Gonna sell the Willys

Easily for more than I paid

And get a fun thing

They say you only go around once

I’m gonna go around a few times

and it's a happy thing

bugeye.jpg

Like me

Last edited:
Some great shapes to be found in old cars.

I believe that the modern car companies all
use the same design software as they all look
alike, the only difference the badge.

Mike.

I've been saying for years, that you used to be able to tell what kind of car they were just by looking at them. But now, if you've seen one you've seen them all because they all look alike or most of them do.

One thing that bugs me about car shows is that most guys want to raise their hoods.

Normally, around here where I live, the only guys that raise their hoods are those that have dressed their engines with chrome galore or had an extreme amount of engine work done, including a big block. If the engine was stock or dirty, then we leave the hood down.

Some people don't throw anything away.

Leggett's Good's Delivery Wagon then and now.

These days the old truck is in the front window of the family jewelry store.

9166616-large.jpg
o1902_leggett_van_2.jpg

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/l/leggett/leggett.htm
“Michael A. Lemp, a jeweler at No. 113 North Salina street, was the first Syracuse merchant to install a motor vehicle delivery service. After three years of the experiment, Mr. Lemp declares that nothing could induce him to return to the use of horses, as the automobile has doubled his business. When Mr. Lemp was using a horse and a delivery wagon he was known to but few. Now any person in Syracuse can tell you who "Lemp" is, and where his store is located. “The delivery wagon used is a 12 horsepower vehicle manufactured by the J. S. Legget [sic] Company, which was located in Syracuse at the time the machine was purchased, three years ago, but which has since been taken over by the Iroquois Motor Company, now located at Seneca Falls. Mr. Lemp is himself an expert mechanic, and with the assistance of his chauffeur, who understands the repair end thoroughly, is able to keep the car in good repair with a minimum of expense. The machine is kept at the garage of the Syracuse Motor Company in South State street when not in use, but it is usually kept running either for business or for pleasure, for when the day's work is done the delivery body can be removed and a tonneau put on. The total expense of running the machine, including wages of the chauffeur, the fuel and the repairs, will not exceed $25 a week, which is cheap, considering the effect it has had upon the business.
“The work was formerly done by a horse, but it took a week to do what is now done in two days. Calls have been attended to in ten minutes which formerly required an hour. The machine makes 35 to 40 miles every day. Mr. Lemp is the only jeweler in town who calls for and delivers goods, the result being that the people appreciate this attention, and have patronized him largely. Since he has been using the car Mr. Lemp has had frequent inquiries from grocers and others using delivery wagons, asking about the expense of running and how he liked it. To all he has given the same reply, that he would not return to the old system for hundreds of dollars. Among those who made inquiries was one milkman.”

Last edited:

Back