Bernie Madoff Dies in Prison at Age 82

I thought I saw he was petitioning for compassinate release at the peak of virus being crowded prison were an issue.

He was a pos but it took enabling and blissful ignorance for him to succeed.
And greed. People thought they'd be making a whole ton of money when insane growth rates were touted. I'm sure there are a lot of people who won't be mourning him. POS is right.

He had a great life while it lasted. Anything and everything at his fingertips. A lot of people envied him, that's for sure.
For the people that got in and out before the collapse of his scheming, they did very well.
He stole millions and never once brandished a weapon.

In many ways I have little sympathy for those who lost their shirts account Madoff, because aside from already being wealthy, they were greedy... much wanted more.

They got burned account their money-hungry ways.
To some degree, we all do the same, don't we? When we invest, aren't we looking to gain the most from our returns? We probably don't or didn't risk as much as Madoff's customer did, but when we invest either through a work 401(k) or an IRA, we want to try to make as much as we can. At least I do.

I remember one fellow on "60 Minutes" that invested the better part of $2million and lost all but about 20% of it. The government was able to retrieve about another 30%, but that was about all that he got back, so he ended up losing close to a million bucks.

I never liked (or trusted) using private brokers. I stick with well known and reputable investment companies like Fidelity or Vanguard.

To some degree, we all do the same, don't we? When we invest, aren't we looking to gain the most from our returns? We probably don't or didn't risk as much as Madoff's customer did, but when we invest either through a work 401(k) or an IRA, we want to try to make as much as we can. At least I do.

I remember one fellow on "60 Minutes" that invested the better part of $2million and lost all but about 20% of it. The government was able to retrieve about another 30%, but that was about all that he got back, so he ended up losing close to a million bucks.

I never liked (or trusted) using private brokers. I stick with well known and reputable investment companies like Fidelity or Vanguard.
Sure, people are forever looking to earn money on their money, but for those investing in the likes of those like the Madoff's, much wants more, is the rule of the day.

For most of us bottom-feeders, we can earn a pittance of a return on our investments, and for some, they get lucky and land on an investment opportunity that rewards them richly, but for those who go through life in a well-off state yet they live each day to garner more, more, and more... I don't harvest any sympathy for those types, because they're greedy (plain and simple).

He had a great life while it lasted. Anything and everything at his fingertips. A lot of people envied him, that's for sure.
For the people that got in and out before the collapse of his scheming, they did very well.
He stole millions and never once brandished a weapon.
We have friend who lived down in Florida and "invested" money with him. At some point, the wife decided it was all too good to be true and they pulled their money back out. Later, they were among the people who had to give back their "profits." They did get out early enough that they did not take a major hit.

We have friend who lived down in Florida and "invested" money with him. At some point, the wife decided it was all too good to be true and they pulled their money back out. Later, they were among the people who had to give back their "profits." They did get out early enough that they did not take a major hit.
There were several investors and investment house that had to pay back money from their ill-gotten gains that they received from Madoff. They were able to keep their initial investments, but the rest of the money had to be returned.

Some investors and investment firms who got in and out early were able to keep it all. I think the trustees are still tracking down money to be given back to people who lost a lot of their investments.

I know actor Kevin Bacon lost maybe more than anyone. I think about 70-80 percent of the money has been returned. I wonder how his wife is living now. Both of their sons are dead.

In the modern day no intelligent person could invest in such a scheme w/o knowing something crooked was going on, yet there were senators, lawyers, big name actors, etc... all willing and eager. IMO they were less than half-a-notch better than Ponzimadoff himself. Their own greed got the best of them.

I know actor Kevin Bacon lost maybe more than anyone. I think about 70-80 percent of the money has been returned. I wonder how his wife is living now. Both of their sons are dead.
Your info re Kevin & Kyra’s family doesn’t seem accurate based on what they said on recent interviews. They seemed to love being in the spotlight at the beginning of Covid. Very nice house. Both their son & daughter are alive.

Kyra inherited a fortune on her own. They invested based on recommendations from a family friend, though I don’t know how much the lost or was returned. Kyra has a new (blah, imo) show and had other shows for years. That should have recouped lots of money from her salaries alone.

@fmdog44 , I misunderstood your post. I thought you were talking about Kevin’s sons dying. Noticed an article about Madoff’s sons, so I think this is who you were talking about. Sorry about my confusion.

Last edited:

Back