Berry picking

They are called Juneberries where I live. We have them too. Also wild blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, huckleberries and elderberries. All make excellent pies or jams.

Bonnie...thanks for cluing me in. I've never seen blackberries around here, but we have lots of "dewberries"! We live
in the base of the Hill Country - not far from Washington County. Guess they don't like to grow in this area much. Up north we had
both blackberries and black raspberries, which were our favorite berry.

The blackberries needed to be weeded and thinned out every so many years.* .. they became a thicket of vines if left alone too long.
I lived out in Harris Cty., along a drainage ditch at the end of a dead end road .... kinda country living. :)

* All of which will be history soon as it's county easement, and they are in the process of clearing out and widening bayou ditches for the new flood plan.

Last edited:
The blackberries needed to be weeded and thinned out every so many years.* .. they became a thicket of vines if left alone too long.
I lived out in Harris Cty., along a drainage ditch at the end of a dead end road .... kinda country living. :)

* All of which will be history soon as it's county easement, and they are in the process of clearing out and widening bayou ditches for the new flood plan.
So you live in Harris County now? If you live north or northwest you're not too far from us...we are in the Tomball area.

I love to pick berries. Wild strawberries, sweet, huge high bush blackberries, huckleberries. I also grow raspberries at the lake house. Are currants considered part of the berry family? I grow red and black ones. Oh, wild Oregon grapes grow here also, make wonderful jelly. Oops, apologies for including things not on op list, I was enjoying the moment. 🤗

Don't think I've seen them before. My aunt used to have huge berry bushes when I was a kid. I think they were raspberries. I'm quite fond of berries; blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries. They are really good for you.

I like eating berries better than picking them. :p When I was very young I remember picking blackberries for my father, and he enjoyed them with milk or cream and sugar. On camping trips in different areas, we've picked wild strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, blueberries, blackberries, huckleberries, etc.

I like eating berries better than picking them. :p When I was very young I remember picking blackberries for my father, and he enjoyed them with milk or cream and sugar. On camping trips in different areas, we've picked wild strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, blueberries, blackberries, huckleberries, etc.
How about hazelnuts? They are great if you can get them before the squirrels.

Growing up we had blueberries,blackberries, and elderberries that we picked. We attached a string to an old can and put it around our necks. I liked picking blackberries better then the blueberries because the can filled quicker.My Beagle loved blackberries and would eat the ones on the lower part of the bushes. He knew just how to grab them without touching the thorns.

I have always called them service berries.. Although they look a lot like blueberries, I understand they are more closely related to apples than to blueberries.

Back