Best-Place-To-Retire.Com Personalized Suggestions

OneEyedDiva

I found this site years ago and answered the detailed questionnaire out of curiosity. They found 20 locations based upon my answers. For each location they provide detailed information in the following categories: Area, Characteristics, Cost, Amenities, Climate, Demographics, Housing, Assistance
If I was really considering moving, this would be a good start in narrowing down places. I was looking for the site when someone here asked for suggestion of where to retire. I thought I'd bookmarked and couldn't find it. Finally found it today in one of my email saved folders. Although I'm not planning a move, I enjoyed reading about the locations.
https://www.best-place-to-retire.com/

Last edited:

JimBob1952

There's only one "best place to retire" and that is where your friends, community, and family are. That outweighs everything else.

If you don't have friends, community or family, then by all means hit the road and find a place that suits you. I would stay away from college towns and head toward undiscovered smaller towns. In my state (Virginia) Staunton and Harrisonburg in the Shenandoah Valley are nice. So are some of the small towns near the Chesapeake.

OneEyedDiva

There's only one "best place to retire" and that is where your friends, community, and family are. That outweighs everything else.

If you don't have friends, community or family, then by all means hit the road and find a place that suits you. I would stay away from college towns and head toward undiscovered smaller towns. In my state (Virginia) Staunton and Harrisonburg in the Shenandoah Valley are nice. So are some of the small towns near the Chesapeake.
"There's only one "best place to retire" and that is where your friends, community, and family are." I agree JB. I wouldn't think of moving to that beautiful island paradise and leave my family behind...especially not at my age. It's interesting that you advise not to move to college towns because I've seen advice to seniors to do so because of the amenities. Of course there's all kinds of advice out there about best places to retire and most I've seen don't take some important factors into account.

Last edited:

JimBob1952

"There's only one "best place to retire" and that is where your friends, community, and family are." I agree JB. I wouldn't think of moving to that beautiful island paradise and leave my family behind...especially not at my age. It's interesting that you advise not to move to college towns because I've seen advice to seniors to do so because of the amenities. Of course there's all kinds of advice out there about best places to retire and most I've seen don't take some important factors into account.

Think about college towns for a minute. Full of noisy, often drunken 18 to 22 year olds. Bars, cheap restaurants, and stores selling hash pipes and posters. Yes, colleges sometimes have sports and artistic productions of interest, but it may not outweigh the other aspects. It's a personal choice like anything else.

On the other hand, a big university may have a teaching hospital and other good medical facilities that the community can access. I live not far from Charlottesville and the UVA Medical Center has been a literal lifesaver for several friends.

Think about college towns for a minute. Full of noisy, often drunken 18 to 22 year olds. Bars, cheap restaurants, and stores selling hash pipes and posters. Yes, colleges sometimes have sports and artistic productions of interest, but it may not outweigh the other aspects. It's a personal choice like anything else.

On the other hand, a big university may have a teaching hospital and other good medical facilities that the community can access. I live not far from Charlottesville and the UVA Medical Center has been a literal lifesaver for several friends.

I moved to a college town for the amenities, but chose to live on the opposite side from the students. Will go there for events, but otherwise enjoy the peace and quiet.

Pecos

I found this site years ago and answered the detailed questionnaire out of curiosity. They found 20 locations based upon my answers. For each location they provide detailed information in the following categories: Area, Characteristics, Cost, Amenities, Climate, Demographics, Housing, Assistance
If I was really considering moving, this would be a good start in narrowing down places. I was looking for the site when someone here asked for suggestion of where to retire. I thought I'd bookmarked and couldn't find it. Finally found it today in one of my email saved folders. Although I'm not planning a move, I enjoyed reading about the locations.
https://www.best-place-to-retire.com/
LOL, I took this quiz and one of the three choices it gave me was the very one that my wife and I are already planning to move to. I am also familiar with the other two choices and they would be good as well. The number one area is also where my adult children live. So for me, this website worked like a champ.

officerripley

I was talking to a realtor about how it it seems to be hard usually to find a neighborhood with good amenities for seniors (needed & fun stuff within walking distance, for inst.) but also has housing good for seniors (for ex., smaller but not too small places with a small yard but most important ground floor). And I said I wondered why property development companies & corporations didn't build more places like that. She told me that they didn't because places like that that are ideal for seniors are just too hard to re-sell when the senior dies or moves into skilled nursing. She said that it happens to her constantly: she'll be driving someone who's middle-aged or younger to look at a house and if they see even one elderly person, they turn to her with a frown and say, "Are there a lot of elderly in this neighborhood?" And when she says, "Oh there are a few." Or even if she says, "Not a lot; just one (or one couple)", the frown deepens and the prospective buyer says, "Pull over & turn around and let's go the next house on the list." And she'll say, "Well wouldn't you at least like to drive by the house? It and this neighborhood are really nice." But the answer always is, "Nope, don't want to be in a neighborhood with grumpy old people who're gonna be griping about how loud my kids are and I myself don't want to have to listen to ambulance sirens every other day because some old fart is having chest pains. Next house on the list, please." She said she has this conversation over and over.

JimBob1952

I live in a neighborhood with a lot of grumpy old people. (That probably includes me.) I don't think our lifestyles and interests mesh well with those of younger people. I can imagine the consternation if someone threw a really loud party that lasted until 2 am.

JimBob1952

I used to live across the street from a small, fairly prestigious liberal arts college in the Northeast. The students were quiet as could be. There was one weekend each year when they "cut loose" with outdoor concerts, parties and general revelry. We were all kind of glad to see them acting like what I considered regular college kids.

Colleen

Interesting. I took the quiz and the 2 areas it recommended for us, we've already lived there. One was So. TX. We lived in Brownsville and then Victoria when it was still affordable to live there and low property taxes (which isn't the case now) and no state taxes on my husband's pension. We could go to the beach and surf fish whenever we wanted or buy fresh shrimp off the trucks that just unloaded from the shrimp boats. We loved TX except for the humidity and very large bugs...it's true...everything is bigger in TX. Haha.

The other place it said for us was AZ, which is where we live now. We've been here 7 years and I've had a struggle adjusting to AZ. The heat doesn't bother me but the lack of green does. We could get a lot of green if we lived in Flagstaff but snow is not an option any more.

Thanks for the link. It was fun to see what the results were. Guess I'm staying here in AZ.