Bi-polar disorder

I’m very outspoken about mental illness, people without mental illnesses are curious to learn about mental illness. I never thought my condition hindered me in any way, only that I saw life through different colored lenses than most.

After my last psychosis (2005) my mind was wiped clean of memories and acquired skills. I was a pill popper and medication seeker, at the time of my overdose I acquired a large quantity of prescription medications and herbal supplements. Over time, excessive quantities built up in my system causing a near fatal overdose.

I was committed for 3 weeks in psyche ward at which point medications were evaluated. Some were discontinued and new medications started. I started taking psychiatric drugs 2 years after high school and overtime side effects included tar-dive dyskinesia involuntary muscle movement and weight gain. At the time of overdose I weighed 357 lbs and a 55 inch waist. I could barely move. I those extra pounds and even got down to 200 lbs, I weigh 223 now.
After being discharged into my wife’s care from the hospital, we talked about divorce so I could get the care I needed without her being responsible for my care and well being. Fortunately it did not come to that extreme.

I literally lost my mind, wiped clean I mirrored my wife and observed people to learn how to survive. I went through NAMI’s “in our own voice” program delivering talks and speeches about my experience living with mental illness.

I’m very outspoken about mental illness, people without mental illnesses are curious to learn about mental illness. I never thought my condition hindered me in any way, only that I saw life through different colored lenses than most.

After my last psychosis (2005) my mind was wiped clean of memories and acquired skills. I was a pill popper and medication seeker, at the time of my overdose I acquired a large quantity of prescription medications and herbal supplements. Over time, excessive quantities built up in my system causing a near fatal overdose.

I was committed for 3 weeks in psyche ward at which point medications were evaluated. Some were discontinued and new medications started. I started taking psychiatric drugs 2 years after high school and overtime side effects included tar-dive dyskinesia involuntary muscle movement and weight gain. At the time of overdose I weighed 357 lbs and a 55 inch waist. I could barely move. I those extra pounds and even got down to 200 lbs, I weigh 223 now.
After being discharged into my wife’s care from the hospital, we talked about divorce so I could get the care I needed without her being responsible for my care and well being. Fortunately it did not come to that extreme.

I literally lost my mind, wiped clean I mirrored my wife and observed people to learn how to survive. I went through NAMI’s “in our own voice” program delivering talks and speeches about my experience living with mental illness.
Thanks so much for sharing this, much respect to you and your wonderful wife.

Back