Bicycle sound effects

We did the card against the spokes thing. It was hard riding for us, though. Our roads were thick sand. 🙂

Did you ever clip playing cards on your bike to flap against the spokes and make an engine noise?
Did you ever rig up a sail to try to catch the wind?
Did you ever try to see how far you could ride with no hands?

I did those two and could ride on my handle bars like @Pinky. I could turn corners too. :)
We started jumping ramps, skidding contests in gravel, how long can you stay balanced without moving, around the block racing, wheelies ( I had some bad falls doing these ), and the famous front wheel brake that lifts the rear wheel off the ground.

Some other fun toys to do tricks with were hula hoops, yoyo's, skateboards, basket balls, silly putty, super ball, etch-a-sketch, swings, monkey bars, etc.... Just about anything to create fun and excitement. :)

Instead of playing cards, we’d use baseball cards on our bike spokes of those players we didn’t as much like, or had duplicates of. And to think, daredevils that we were, we rode our bikes without wearing helmets! Scabbed elbows and knees were just rites of passage...

We used to have these leather straps on the wheel hubs to keep them clean and shiny.

Some had a little red reflector where the snap is located.

I'm really not sure why it was important to keep our hubs shiny but we did.

images

Instead of playing cards, we’d use baseball cards on our bike spokes of those players we didn’t as much like, or had duplicates of. And to think, daredevils that we were, we rode our bikes without wearing helmets! Scabbed elbows and knees were just rites of passage...
Us, too. I was a Giants fan, so I put Dodgers cards on my spokes. The fist-fights I used to get into with kids who were Dodgers fans were not only expected, they were welcomed. Slamming our bikes down and going at it, man. hahaha! Awesome memories.

Back