Big Turnips

A woman at church Sunday was giving these away from the tailgate of her vehicle. They are much larger than the average ones I see in the store. The spice containers give an indication of size. That one in the back is the size of a small pumpkin. I cooked one last night and it was tender and mild, not what I expected of such large turnips.

turnips.jpg

Since you took some, you must have enjoyed the small ones too.

Are they hard to cut up. The orange ones are. Or maybe they’re considered rutabagas. I don’t know what the difference is.

Are they hard to cut up. The orange ones are. Or maybe they’re considered rutabagas. I don’t know what the difference is.

Not too bad to cut up. I cut them up in smaller pieces first - that makes them easier to peel, then boil the pieces for 20 minutes - add some salt, pepper and butter and mash them with a pastry cutter. I had some acorn squash this year that were the worst to cut. I was doing a handstand on the knife and couldn't make a dent. I was afraid if it slipped - instant mastectomy, or worse. I got a bow saw and that went through the squash all right!

Back