Bird Watching

@Keesha and @Em in Ohio
(and anyone else who is interested, and Welcome, @gordino )

:LOL:
"In my own defense" of the silly suggestion of vasoline to be applied to the pole, for a hummingbird feeder,
to prevent ants from climbing all the way up, thereby diving in for a group swim...

I actually had imagined, NOT them all getting stuck in the vasoline, and simply causing an alternate disgusting mess.. :rolleyes::p:cool:

But rather, I had imagined, the ants, would find themselves all slipping and sliding, back down to the ground....unable to climb the slippery one....

and then, unharmed but with hurt pride,
all the ants would be discussing the situation, and coming to a unanimous decision,
to leave the property and go elsewhere, to look for a different sweet swimming hole,
or instead, to travel and visit some of their relatives, who live out of town.....
:giggle:

Since you don't seem to see all the wisdom in that suggestion of mine :geek:
I am prepared to make a different suggestion now.:)

How about:
Em gets a new pet....an anteater..... and they all find some balance and natural solution....and IF the anteater becomes a problem, then Em could google, to find out what additional pet to get, which would control the anteater, in similarly natural manner.....

Or feel free, to ask me for additional ideas, anytime any of you need any.
:unsure::oops::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Btw, are there any hummingbirds in your vicinity, Em? :LOL:

If so, then Perhaps, you could just plant colorful flowers that they would enjoy feeding at,
and ditch the hummingbird feeder altogether? :ROFLMAO:

@Keesha and @Em in Ohio

"In my own defense" of the silly suggestion of vasoline to be applied to the pole, for a hummingbird feeder,
to prevent ants from climbing all the way up, thereby diving in for a group swim...

I actually had imagined, NOT them all getting stuck in the vasoline, and simply causing an alternate disgusting mess.. :rolleyes::p:cool:

But rather, I had imagined, the ants, would find themselves all slipping and sliding, back down to the ground....unable to climb the slippery one....

all the ants would be discussing the situation, and coming to a unanimous decision,
to leave the property and go elsewhere, to look for a different sweet swimming hole,
or instead, to travel and visit some of their relatives, who live out of town.....

How about:
Em gets a new pet....an anteater..... and they all find some balance and natural solution....and IF the anteater becomes a problem, then Em could google, to find out what additional pet to get, which would control the anteater, in similarly natural manner.....

If so, then Perhaps, you could just plant colorful flowers that they would enjoy feeding at,
Oh my! You were on a roll! Enjoyed this immensely! I do have some flowering bushes that were supposed to attract hummingbirds, but the tiny creatures have apparently become accustomed to dining from fancy plastic feeders!

True. They do.

I've seen them feed at morning glory flowers,
but you'd need to be up and out, early in the morning, in order to see them then.
Those flowers close up, when the sun gets high, toward noon.

I've seen them feed off of gladioli flowers, especially red or yellow ones,
but those take a long time to grow plants first, and later, to bloom, so you'd have to wait till near Autumn, to see them then.

I have also seen them feed off some bright colored flowers, that were not trumpet shaped ,
such as flat zinnia's, but you have to be watching closely, and look very quick!

So, I will try not to get on another roll here, but you get my drift. :LOL:

Thanks, to RR and Em and Kee, above, for helping me to laugh and smile today.

wren.jpg

Sat out in the back yard, this AM, and was treated to the antics of a flock of wrens (the above pic is stock--they moved too fast for me to get their photo). Bobbing, twittering and fluttering, about 8 of them flew from branch to branch. They perched head-down on the trunk of the tree and I think one especially brave one was trying to get me to leave: landing several times on the painted banister of the stairway on which I was sitting, he gave me the beady eye, chirped and all but stomped his little feet. ;)

View attachment 109632

Sat out in the back yard, this AM, and was treated to the antics of a flock of wrens (the above pic is stock--they moved too fast for me to get their photo). Bobbing, twittering and fluttering, about 8 of them flew from branch to branch. They perched head-down on the trunk of the tree and I think one especially brave one was trying to get me to leave: landing several times on the painted banister of the stairway on which I was sitting, he gave me the beady eye, chirped and all but stomped his little feet. ;)
Yesterday, after my long-awaited tax prep appointment, I crossed the street to a dollar store to wait for my ride. There was a next of wrens between the overhang and the downspout, providing me with entertainment for half an hour! I could only hear the babies, but the parents were SO busy going back and forth, and eyeing everyone who entered or left!

Our hummingbird feeder hangs off our porch.
I've greased the hanger with Vaseline.
Seems to keep the ants from getting in the feeder.

But we all want to know....do the ants get their feet stuck and die in a gooey awful group mess?

OR, do they slip off, and run away....and leave the feeder, nice and pleasant then, for both the hummingbirds, and the viewers?

( @Em in Ohio :unsure:) ( @Keesha :LOL::ROFLMAO:)

Attention also: RR ;), Cinnamon, Gordino…..others? :)

@Keesha and @Em in Ohio

How about:

Sounds like a great animated movie. 🥰🤣

Back