Black 5 heads south in the rain

-Oy-

Bloke with a camera
Stanier Black 5 No44871 heading south just outside Lancaster this afternoon.

53330161098_3f120de7af_h.jpg

That's a masculine train if I ever saw one!
That's a good description, you notice Oy's description: "Stanier Black 5." Named after the Chief Mechanical Engineer, William Stanier. He was charged with introducing modern and more powerful locomotive designs for the railway company known as LMS or London Midland Scottish Railway. One of his innovative ideas was to streamline the engine. Here's an example.
Duchess_of_Hamilton_-_2006-05-06.jpg
This steam train engine, now a museum exhibit, was known as a Coronation Class. Stanier understood aerodynamics, he had a cowl made to fit over the engine so as to streamline it, so that it went faster. Here you see it with that cowl fitted.
DUCHESS_OF_HAMILTON_2.jpg
It achieved speeds of up to 115 miles per hour.
The design and shape impressed another designer and engineer, one Nigel Gresley.
Gresley took the influence of aerodynamic design to produce an engine streamlined without the cowl.
mallard.jpg
This steam engine locomotive is called Mallard, it's known as a Pacific Class.
On 3 July 1938, the A4 class locomotive Mallard raced down Stoke Bank at 126mph
to set a new steam locomotive world speed record. A record that still stands to
this day.

My Father being a railway man had a free family pass every year for the family. We visited his sister living in Melbourne. We loved it. In those days, the early 50's we had to change trains at Albury, on the Victorian and New South Wales border because the gauges were different. This usually occurred about 11pm at night. Mother and Father, had to sit up and my sister and I slept on a card table placed across 2 seats. This trip usually took between 12/14 hours with the occasional stops. Loved the smell of the steam and the whistles between road crossings.

Back