Bonnie Annie Laurie - The Story Behind the Song

Looking south from the village, I can see Bennachie (from the Gaelic, "Hill of the breast") - a hill that is synonymous with Aberdeenshire. At the back of Bennachie is a small river called the Gadie burn. This if the subject of a traditional Scottish song believed to date from the 1600's, although many different versions have emerged. Initially it was a lament by a woman who had lost her family through war.

The title of "Gin I were where the Gadie rins" roughly means "I wish I was again where the Gadie runs (at the back of Bennachie)"

This is just one of the later versions.. note that it refers to "the foot, not the back o Bennachie"

O! GIN I WAR WHAUR GADIE RINS
John Imlah
O! gin I were where Gadie rins,
Where Gadie rins, where Gadie rins,
O! gin I were where Gadie rins,
By the foot o' Bennachie.

I've roamed by Tweed, I've roamed by Tay,
By Border Nith and Highland Spey,
But dearer far to me than they
Are the braes o' bennachie.

When bud and blossom sprout in spring,
And gar the birdies wag their wing,
They blithely bob, and soar, and sing,
By the foot o' Bennachie.

When simmer cleeds the varied scene
Wi' licht o' gowd and leaves o' green,
I fain wad be, where aft I've been,
At the foot o' Bennachie.

When autumn's yellow sheaf was shorn,
And a' the yards were fu' o' corn,
'Twas blithe to hear the clyack horn,

When winter winds blaw sharp and shrill,
O'er icy burn and sheeted hill,
The ingle neuk is gleesome still

Though few to welcome me remain,
Though a' I loved be dead and gane,
I'll back, though I should live alane,
To the back o' Bennachie.

Oh! ance mair, ance mair where Gadie rins,
Where Gadie rins, where Gadie rins,
Oh! lat me dee where Gadie rins,
Footnote : There are some other three songs of the same title! The poet and songwriter John Imlah was born in North Street, Aberdeen in 1799 and died, far from his beloved Bennachie, in Jamaica in 1846.

Whenever I hear Annie Laurie I think of one of my favorite books "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" as the song has a prominent role as the girls father sang it often, and her baby sister, born after father died was given the name Annie Laurie in his memory

Whenever I hear Annie Laurie I think of one of my favorite books "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" as the song has a prominent role as the girls father sang it often, and her baby sister, born after father died was given the name Annie Laurie in his memory
Never knew that, Marie! Thank you!

Conway Twitty sang “Danny Boy.” I never liked that song. I have no idea why Conway would sing this song.

Back