Bowel regimen

carlajane

I'm looking for ideas on how to keep my bowels moving regularly. I don't want to go on any medicine.

I second fiber. Google a list of high-fiber foods and eat as many as you can. Another suggestion, try to do your bowel movements at the same time each day. Your body gets so used to it that it almost becomes automatic. I do it in the morning shortly after I get up. A few times I could not do it then (had an appt or ?), and it threw me off for a couple of days.

Eat more of some foods, possible options are including:
cooked or canned beans, any type you can eat, such as kidney beans or black beans or baked beans....

cooked carrots or squash or pumpkin....

bran cereals / overripe bananas

Eat much less ,
of other foods that are binding... they have opposite effect.... such as cottage cheese, dairy, too many eggs....

Also, if you're almost constipated, everyone has some food that makes them ''go''. Mine is cooked spinach or melon. Some people swear that coffee makes them go.

Oh, and welcome to our forum!

Last edited:
Also rolled steel oatmeal ( porridge)....

I also add a little extra oat bran powder to my porridge while it's cooking, or add a spoonful into meat dishes and soups ... you can't detect the taste at all but it's high in fibre..

Raw Apples are good for fibre... whatever you do tho' if you're just starting to increase your uptake of fibre , then do it a little at a time, don't suddenly add lots of fibre to your diet, your gut nor your bowels will cope..

For the times when you don't get enough soluble fiber from food, a tablespoon of psyllium (a soluble fiber) in warm water would be a good idea. Soluble fiber is the type found in fruits & vegetables, especially eggplant. It becomes like a gel in the presence of water.

Swear off all dairy, no lie! When I became vegan, 99% of any and all constipation issues disappeared, overnight.

Eat a bowl of oatmeal, daily. Slice a few dates or prunes into the bowl. Drink 4-8 full glasses of water, daily. Take one gram of magnesium at bedtime. Swallow a tablespoon of high quality, EV olive oil, and chase it with a glass of water.

You'll be fine. Best of luck!

I'm looking for ideas on how to keep my bowels moving regularly. I don't want to go on any medicine.
Try a bowl of this cold breakfast cereal every day or as needed.

s-l300.jpg

handful of shelled walnuts daily, cup of V8 juice. Don't eat cheese for awhile, too.

Oh and to add this..for when I really get plugged up!

benefiber.jpg

Last edited:
Forget everything else and try this. As we age, our body needs magnesium. Mag is needed by the heart and the bones and is a vital element for muscles and bones.

Suggest the award winning natural product "Calm"- it's made from magnesium citrate, its inexpensive and great for regulating bowel health also. So you get the benefits of needed stress relieving added magnesium in your diet and regular bowel movements. Suggest following the label and then adjusting if needed to fit your bodily needs. Its a great natural product. I've used it for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vita...sa_cr_id=2775725270701&ref_=sb_s_sparkle_slot

Forget everything else and try this. As we age, our body needs magnesium. Mag is needed by the heart and the bones and is a vital element for muscles and bones.

Suggest the award winning natural product "Calm"- it's made from magnesium citrate, its inexpensive and great for regulating bowel health also. So you get the benefits of needed stress relieving added magnesium in your diet and regular bowel movements. Suggest following the label and then adjusting if needed to fit your bodily needs. Its a great natural product. I've used it for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vita...sa_cr_id=2775725270701&ref_=sb_s_sparkle_slot
But don't forget what I posted...#14--it WILL work for you :)

But don't forget what I posted...#14--it WILL work for you :)
The issue to me here would be long term use. We were in the natural food arena and personally would never recommend adding processed fiber to the regular diet. We formulated foods for years. Some folks might not have issues, others surely could.

i give my hubby , Fibre gel......sachets....plus , prunes....
but actually the best thing for contipations, is plenty of water and exercise...

I don't have a Gall Bladder....So far my daughter had surgery to take out the Gal Bladder and my brother...Also My Mom had a Gol Bladder
removed… I have to watch what I eat...Yes, I have to drink plenty water and not sit around doing nothing....

Back