Bringing back mask wearing?

chic

SF VIP
They have been trying to push this where I live. There have been signs in stores, transport and libraries that mask wearing will be STRONGLY recommended by Mar. 15, which is today, and although the day is young from what I can see it's not a smashing success. After three years I think they should just let people make up their own minds about mask wearing without any veiled threats. Since all the covid restrictions nationwide will be lifted in May, it seems counterintuitive to do this now. What do you think?

Is it just the town, county or whole state that this recommending this? It does seem unusual unless there has been an increase of cases.

They have been trying to push this where I live. There have been signs in stores, transport and libraries that mask wearing will be STRONGLY recommended by Mar. 15, which is today, and although the day is young from what I can see it's not a smashing success. After three years I think they should just let people make up their own minds about mask wearing without any veiled threats. Since all the covid restrictions nationwide will be lifted in May, it seems counterintuitive to do this now. What do you think?
There's nothing wrong with mask wearing, many people do when around people in public. Some wear it to help keep themselves from getting infected with anything, especially seniors.

I have a mask in my pocket and in all my vehicles, and have since the beginning of this pandemic. I am fully vaxxed and boosted and so is my husband, and I am not in contact with anyone who has a compromised immune system, being treated for cancer, etc.

I have it when I need it and will use it if I come close to an older sickly person, like my neighbor up the block, who can't take vaccines and has health issues for years, but she stays indoors and her husband does all the shopping, errands for her.

Even with restrictions lifted, masks make sense for some and I admire those who are mature and responsible enough to wear them if desired. Can't believe some are still getting bent out of shape with the mention of a mask.

Here in NM, while many stores have dropped the requirement many still provide hand sanitizer near the entrances. And many people particularly in smaller communities wear masks if we develop a cold or symptoms of coughing and sneezing. The USPS clerk and i were talking about this. It puts others minds at ease if you cough or your sneeze. i've been sick with some kind of upper respiratory thing for 3 weeks now. Including sinus symptoms. I get caught off guard by sneezes and coughs sometimes so i wear a mask when going into public places.

There's nothing wrong with mask wearing, many people do when around people in public. Some wear it to help keep themselves from getting infected with anything, especially seniors.

I have a mask in my pocket and in all my vehicles, and have since the beginning of this pandemic. I am fully vaxxed and boosted and so is my husband, and I am not in contact with anyone who has a compromised immune system, being treated for cancer, etc.

I have it when I need it and will use it if I come close to an older sickly person, like my neighbor up the block, who can't take vaccines and has health issues for years, but she stays indoors and her husband does all the shopping, errands for her.

Even with restrictions lifted, masks make sense for some and I admire those who are mature and responsible enough to wear them if desired. Can't believe some are still getting bent out of shape with the mention of a mask.
The anti-maskers want to take away our freedom to wear masks...

I think a good outcome of masks is people aren't stigmatized for wearing a mask now. If I'm feeling ill and have to go out I wouldn't feel like everyone was looking at me. No one cares.
That may depend on where you live and who you deal with on routine basis. My daughter manages a small local motel. Even at the height of the pandemic people passing thru (most often those from Texas or Arizona) would give her hard time about wearing a mask and the sanitizing of the check in area she would do between customers. What usually shut them up is when she'd tell them she had an 'elderly' mother (she'd chuckle when telling me this -'They don't have to know how active you are') and that with so many people passing thru who didn't seem to take ANY precautions she felt she needed to take them to reduce the odds of taking something home to me.

That may depend on where you live and who you deal with on routine basis. My daughter manages a small local motel. Even at the height of the pandemic people passing thru (most often those from Texas or Arizona) would give her hard time about wearing a mask and the sanitizing of the check in area she would do between customers. What usually shut them up is when she'd tell them she had an 'elderly' mother (she'd chuckle when telling me this -'They don't have to know how active you are') and that with so many people passing thru who didn't seem to take ANY precautions she felt she needed to take them to reduce the odds of taking something home to me.
That's interesting and not a good way for the customers to behave. However, I've seen and heard of much more shaming from those who insist everyone must wear masks than the other way round, quite rudely too.

I do have a mask in my glove compartment but haven't put one on for a long time. I think all medical offices here no longer require it but I'm prepared in case.

If I think my unmasked face is a worry to someone, I would wear it out of courtesy. But, if someone asks, they should do so kindly and they will get a smile and compliance. Snide comments don't impress me and could get a very different reaction.

I plan to continue to receive recommended vaccines and be wearing an N95 mask by personal choice the rest of my life in SOME public indoor places if I suspect airborne viruses may be present. Always inside hospitals or medical clinics, and mid winter during head cold and flu season probably inside public buildings where people, especially children are coughing. Never caught COVID and over last 2 decades rarely head colds, and just once influenza.

Why would a non masked person care if others wore a mask, how does it hurt the non mask wearer? I've never understood it. :rolleyes:
It doesn't. It does send a psychological message that something is not right if you live in culture/country where mask wearing is not the norm. It hurts little children also who are just beginning to understand how to socialize by recognizing and interpreting facial expressions. :unsure:

Back