Buck on Front Lawn

Keesha, your photos are beautiful❤. How did you manage to get photos without scaring him away?

I installed a 5' black aluminum picket fence around my entire backyard and the other morning I looked out and saw a buck in the middle of the yard INSIDE the fence. He looked exactly like yours but I live in the suburbs.

My dogs looked out the window and started barking at him. He calmly walked over to the fence, stood close to it, then without any running start just bent his knees and leaped over it to the outside of the yard. He was the same buck that visited the dogs while outside the fence a few weeks ago...but this is a first for inside.

I have no idea Lara. We often see deer and other wildlife where we live but they don’t ever come up to our front window staring at us. THAT doesn’t happen often. It was delightfully unusual but we all loved it including our dogs.

Maybe it’s just the courageous males that present this behaviour. We sure weren’t complaining.

A couple of months ago there were 5 deer in the middle of our road that stood there for a long time.Im not sure what they were doing but I wish I had a camera at the time.

That's a lovely buck. A few years ago I saw a couple of bucks strolling down my street. Man they were big! I didn't get real close to them, I was with the dog and didn't know how they would react to a dog so I turned around and walked back down the street. And then they crossed the street and kept on strolling. Majestic creatures they are!

Last edited:
I like to see the deers coming around....we have several that hang out in our forest. Quite often they come up to our birdbath for a drink, however by the time I get my camera, they have usually moved off. I used to hunt, but anymore I'd just rather watch them. Starting in another few weeks, I'll be going to the farm store and buying some corn to put out for them, as once everything browns out, they don't find much food, and I've found several remains, over the years, of deer that didn't survive the Winter.

So for the buck, it is something like he was watching tv or a video. ? :LOL:
Or, Perhaps he thought he was watching the dogs, on Animal Planet?

Unless he was angling for an invite in ? Could you serve some apples on a platter? :)

So for the buck, it is something like he was watching tv or a video. ? :LOL:
Or, Perhaps he thought he was watching the dogs, on Animal Planet?

Unless he was angling for an invite in ? Could you serve some apples on a platter? :)
Yes he was watching us through the window and I considered feeding him but I thought better of it. There are plenty of apple trees around hundreds of feet where he was standing and farm fields with food at their edges where this guy can eat and be protected. I wouldn’t want to teach him to trust people only to have someone else shoot him since they saw him in the area.

My husband said he was looking for Santa. 😂
I felt like pushing him out. Lol

Yes he was watching us through the window and I considered feeding him but I thought better of it. There are plenty of apple trees around hundreds of feet where he was standing and farm fields with food at their edges where this guy can eat and be protected. I wouldn’t want to teach him to trust people only to have someone else shoot him since they saw him in the area.

My husband said he was looking for Santa. 😂
I felt like pushing him out. Lol
Good thinking @Keesha, about not feeding him!

I actually wasn't thinking at all, about you actually feeding him. I agree, that is NOT a good idea!

I was suggesting he might like to be politely invited inside, and when seated chatting, then you would need to offer something, just as you would do if we all stopped by.

Never mind inviting him in, though, if you pushed your husband outdoors to greet him in a Santa suit!

Oh Yes, YOU and husband and dogs, were ON his tv! Reality tv, for him!

I actually wasn't thinking at all, about you actually feeding him. I agree, that is NOT a good idea!

I was suggesting he might like to be politely invited inside, and when seated chatting, then you would need to offer something, just as you would do if we all stopped by.

Never mind inviting him in, though, if you pushed your husband outdoors to greet him in a Santa suit!

Oh Yes, YOU and husband and dogs, were ON his tv! Reality tv, for him!
Haha. Oh I see what you mean. Maybe he hasn’t seen dogs up so high before and came in for a closer look. We have a few couches at our house and this is their own couch so they can look out the window and be our protective watch dogs. 🥺😌

Of course I have to have a sewing basket in the front of it as a step for the smallest. 😂

Here they are looking out which is about where the deer was looking. My husbands friends said it a big older buck. Apparently you can tell the age by the nobs on the antlers.

48A5BB6C-62D3-40DF-AAD7-8D73090C2D50.jpeg000C1111-0B23-4EE9-80E3-32D07509049B.jpeg

Back