Building Plastic Models and Wooden Airplanes to Fly

Timewise 60+

As a kid I was into building plastic models. Usually it was something from WWII, tanks, airplanes, and ships. I also built model airplanes from wood. These were initially rubber band powered planes and later I built engine powered airplanes. I generally used an .049 size engine, never anything bigger. I initially flew the gas planes using a control line, flying in circles around me. Later, I went to RC controls.

Now retired I am back into building plastic models. So far all are WWII fighter planes...but more to come....

What about you?

Me too. If you use an airbrush, check out my website. Don's Airbrush Tips

F104.jpg

Spirit1.jpg

Me too. If you use an airbrush, check out my website. Don's Airbrush Tips

F104.jpg

Spirit1.jpg
Don,
I read all that you posted, thanks for a wealth of information. I am going to get my first airbrush a Badger 155 Anthem. I will primarily use it on WWII era models. Can you give me some perspective on getting a compressor. I have also read a lot about them, but still, I am researching prior to buying. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, and 'Model On'!
CC

When I was a kid, there was a local (airplane) modeling club that would get together for an hour one evening twice a month and one Saturday afternoon a month in a vast field. The Saturday events included competition with wooden gliders. Think the longest I got one to stay up was just over a minute when it luckily hit a thermal. Also race events with line controlled planes like the 'Lil Satan with Golden Bee engine my brother is holding in the picture. My father built many line controlled planes of all sizes and power and even had one radio controlled craft.

Modeling was a GREAT pastime and so very relaxing. Good times.
(I had dark hair like my dad, but tried to bleach my hair that summer and it came out orangeish D'OH)

C0ITEvl.jpg

The balsa model glider kits we built were a bit more robust and durable than the 25cent (10cent) kits though we built those too.
Tried to find a pic of one on google but couldn't. Guess they are lost to history.
For the glider competitions, we rubbed the gliders well with a bit of talcum powder to reduce air resistance.
In the adult category, I think I remember the longest aloft time to be around 5minutes on a warm day with nice thermals.

I was also into plastic modeling, though not on a professional scale as some do and I'm in awe of.
Just a kid saving up and spending his weekly allowance on something relaxing, rewarding and enjoyable.

I lived in a small mountain town in Colorado as a kid. We had long cold winters. I recall going to school at -40 degrees, not often, but a few times. Those winters meant very little outside time, so building models was a real good pass time. Access to TV was limited for a few years in the mid 50's. Then we finally got 3 channels...now that was living! My dad was a good model builder both plastic and wooden, so I had company and a good teacher. I still cut my finger also with my new Xacto knife...

Back