California couple find rare gold coins buried on their property

It would be neat to go back in time and find out the real story on why the coins were buried there. Possibly an old cabin was there and they hid them beneath the floor. Coins from an old train robbery? Amazing the condition they are in. They no doubt will bring much more than a million.

Pappy, It would be neat to find something like that. I found some poor soles wedding ring down at the beach.
...........Just put our towel & stuff down, sat down & felt it in the sand. That was over 50 years ago.

"They plan to put most of the coins up for sale through Amazon while holding onto a few keepsakes. They’ll use the money to pay off bills and quietly donate to local charities, Kagin said."

See, that's the type of people you like to see win.

It would be neat to go back in time and find out the real story on why the coins were buried there. Possibly an old cabin was there and they hid them beneath the floor. Coins from an old train robbery? Amazing the condition they are in. They no doubt will bring much more than a million.

I thought about that too Pappy, would be interesting to know who buried them there, and what happened to that person. I heard that some of the coins were worth a million each. The whole lot was worth over 10 million. I don't know if I'd sell them on Amazon though, better places to sell precious coins.

dog-digging-o.gif

Wow! I wish I could find something like that in my yard. I do know there used to be a lot of plantations on my city, and plantation owners would sometimes bury their money and other valuables. Also, a lot of gem stones are found in my area. I am always digging in the yard, why can't I find a great treasure too?

Heard Friday morning on the news that the IRS considers that subject to a "Treasure Trove Tax (? new one on me!) and that the tax on their find will be approx. 5 million dollars. That is just such BS I can`t even believe it...

Heard Friday morning on the news that the IRS considers that subject to a "Treasure Trove Tax (? new one on me!) and that the tax on their find will be approx. 5 million dollars. That is just such BS I can`t even believe it...
Thread is old, just reading some. There are 3 types of classified property: Lost: Mislaid: Treasure Trove.

I have this Ohio case in my legal notes that I came across many years ago posting on another board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesarini_v._United_States

Yes, if you took a federal tax rate around 35-40%, plus state tax, it could be around 5 million. That money was life changing to those people and the "crooked" government did not have it for 100 + years, they don't need it to just blow it, that makes me sick.

In Ohio TT found in the ground (except fossils and such) are "finders keepers" even if found on another's property, that is, as long as they have permission to do it, or are there by invitation etc., like a picnic.

Last edited:
I'm glad this post came back up. That is freaking amazing. I had never heard of it. I knew there would be a tree involved as a marker. I imagine there could be all kinds of things that will never be discovered.

Back