Can anyone identify this plant?

NancyNGA

It has sprung up along the edge of a pond---a lot of it.

Full view:

plantB.jpg

Zoom in a little:

plantC.jpg

Maybe skunk cabbage?:confused:
Pappy, this is/will be a tall plant, I think, with sprouts that look like the skunk cabbage, at joints along the stem. It also appears to have something that looks like roots at the top. Weird. I'll take another picture when it matures, but it might be going dormant for the winter soon.

Sedge looks like a good place to start. There are lots of varieties. Could be it lays on the ground and sprouts roots like runners. I'll check it again next time I'm out there. If I figure it out I'll post back. Thanks Annie.

I never did identify the one above. :( Here is another one. Does anyone know what it is?

Growing at the edge of the woods, from a tree-like bush about 8 feet tall.

UHwvIaf.gif

That's it Gemma.
Boy that was fast! Thanks!

Here is something interesting from your link. I'll start crushing leaves tomorrow. :)

In the early 20th century, farmers would crush the leaves and place them under the harnesses of horses and mules to repel mosquitoes. The farmers rubbed the crushed leaves on themselves to repel mosquitoes and biting bugs. Studies conducted by the Agricultural Research Service has shown two compounds – callicarpenal and intermedeol - are responsible for the repellant.

Back