Can you recall your fondest memory?

Youngster

Your wedding day or the birth of your kids/grand-kids are certainly fond memories. I'm thinking more along the lines of those moments in time when everything seemed to be aligned in your favor. For example a certain place, time spent with someone you cared about or maybe your first kiss. We all have more than one. What's your fondest.

I would have to say mine is my 25th anniversary. We flew to Hawaii. I remember stepping off the plane and being hit by warm humid air that had a wonderful feel and smell to it. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life and the start of something very special. I've been in love with the tropics ever since.

Probably one of the zillion times I was at my paternal grandparents' house. It was so fun there. There were so many things to play with and my grandparents were the greatest. There was nothing they wouldn't do for us kids.

When we'd settle down in the evening to watch TV, Grandma would roll in a tea-cart with everything fixed "just-so". The 7-Up was never drunk from the bottle, it was always in a crystal goblet with a cherry. Potato chips or other snacks were in a silver bowl sitting on a doily. We'd toast each other and talk in exaggerated accents. We'd always say, " Lady Jujube, would you like another cheese curl?" "Why, yes, Dutchess Mag, I believe I would!"

Grandma loved beautiful clothing and jewelry and they were always available to try on and parade about in.

Going to a large park with my father when I was in the single digits.
We’d start at a playground area with log constructions and things I could crawl through and climb. The ground was just hard packed earth covered with wood chips so it hurt when you fell, but hey, that built character!

Then we’d go to a park lake where my father would fashion small improvised boats for me to sail from sticks using his ever-present pocketknife. We’d wind up in an empty sports stadium, from the upper reaches of which balsa wood airplanes could be flown an impressive distance.

With luck, the Good Humor truck would be in the parking lot upon our return to the car, making for a perfect kid outing! 😁

All of these great memories brought back one I hadn't thought of in many, many years.

My older brother and I were on a four lane highway. Two lanes in each direction. He was driving and I was in the passenger seat. We were in the right lane traveling about 60 miles per hour. A car pulled out of a parking lot in front of us into the left lane then decided to make a right turn directly in front of us. We hit the car hard and glanced off. We jumped the curb and headed directly for a telephone pole. Luckily we missed it. We came so close it scraped the paint off the car but didn't dent it. We plowed through a few mail boxes before coming to a stop.
I was a hothead in my mid twenties. I jumped out of the car cursing. I was pissed at the driver of the other car. It was a young girl. She was out of her car crying and in a mild state of shock. It was raining and cold out. She wasn't wearing a coat. My older brother walked up to her, took off his coat and put it over her shoulders. I shut my mouth. Compassion. Lesson learned.

Childhood days, after hot humid Iowa days the family going to the town swimming pool in the evening to jump in the water and cooling down. Getting cooled down all the way to the bones we would say. A special treat on the way home sometimes stopping at Dairy Queen to get ice cream cones. Eating the ice cream cones quickly because they melted fast in the heat of the evening with all the car windows down to let fresh fast flowing air through the car so we could stay cool. Getting home going to bed and falling into a peaceful sleep.

Back