Can you remember ?

I remember those days you did not need to get out of your car because a gas station attendant would come out and fill up your car or put in how much gas you wanted to buy, ask to check your oil and wash the front windshield.
One station in my old neighborhood stayed the same, just like old times. It's a very clean station with nice people. One man arrives around 5 AM, although he said he doesn't have to be there until 6. I drive to that location for gas to support the effort. People say the mechanic is very good too. They close early at 5:30PM.

I took a walk through my old hometown a few weeks ago. In that small town of about 1000 people, we had three grocery stores. Beside the one grocery store on a small empty lot was a memorial listing all the men who lived in that town who served in WWII. Beside that memorial was a huge patch of honeysuckle when I lived there. I quickly remembered when my best friend at the time and I would lay in that patch and pick the honeysuckle and of course eat it. We would pull out the stem and put it in our mouth wiping the sweet part off. Of course, that honeysuckle patch is gone now, but the memory is still alive. I also remember getting stung by bees occasionally.

I took a walk through my old hometown a few weeks ago. In that small town of about 1000 people, we had three grocery stores. Beside the one grocery store on a small empty lot was a memorial listing all the men who lived in that town who served in WWII. Beside that memorial was a huge patch of honeysuckle when I lived there. I quickly remembered when my best friend at the time and I would lay in that patch and pick the honeysuckle and of course eat it. We would pull out the stem and put it in our mouth wiping the sweet part off. Of course, that honeysuckle patch is gone now, but the memory is still alive. I also remember getting stung by bees occasionally.
I love honeysuckle. There was some growing in the back of my yard in early years. Recently I noticed some on the side of the road a few blocks from here when I was driving, and I've regretted I didn't stop to taste.

I love honeysuckle. There was some growing in the back of my yard in early years. Recently I noticed some on the side of the road a few blocks from here when I was driving, and I've regretted I didn't stop to taste.
There was a big patch of honeysuckle alongside an abandoned railroad track about a mile out of town and kind of in the country. There were also some black raspberry bushes there, which is what I went there to get. I remember eating them right off of the bush, no cleaning, no nothing. Just pick and eat. Then, go about another half mile down the track and there was a small pond. Cleanest and clearest water I ever saw. I would skinny dip in that pond after filling up with the raspberries. I learned to swim in that pond. It was just me and my buddy and we made a pact not to tell anyone about the berries. When I would get home, my mom would ask me where was I. I would tell her that I was just riding my bike around town. She would then ask why was my hair wet. I would say “Sweat.” She would look at me suspiciously.

One of my first jobs, other than working for my Dad was at the local DX station, pumping gas, checking oil, tires, etc.. the bell was pretty standard equip. back then. Seems for what were paying for gas we should be getting all that, plus a gourmet meal every time we pull in.
Same me....I pumped gas, checked tires, washed windshields at a local gas station on weekends when I was in high school. The "bell" was my cue to hustle. Back then, gas price ranged between 17 and 25 cents/gal...depending on if there was a "gas war" going on. I think I made about $1 an hour. Based on today's gas prices, if those jobs were still available, they would probably pay $20/hr.

I remember those days you did not need to get out of your car because a gas station attendant would come out and fill up your car or put in how much gas you wanted to buy, ask to check your oil and wash the front windshield.
Aw, come on, next thing you will suggest that buses had a conductor whom you paid your fare to and you didn't have to pay the driver when you boarded.
Back in 1968, when I was still living in London, the new underground line, named The Victoria Line, opened. The Victoria Line has a driver who is no more than a passenger. It has been computer controlled all 54 years of it's existence. Fact is, train driving can be done by computer, so can so many other tasks.

Back