Canadian Thanksgiving 2021

RadishRose

SF VIP

iu
October 11th

Just us and daughter tomorrow. SIL going to his folks. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Canucks.

Much appreciated well wishes from forum friends :)

🍁🍂🥧

Thanks for all the Thanksgiving wishes from our neighbours. Although officially Monday, most people seem to celebrate on the Sunday. That allows for travel home. It didn’t fit our schedule to travel to family and glad we’re not as they’re predicting snow on the high mountain passes. Today I bought the last single turkey dinner in a local store. Supplemented it with a few more potatoes and veggies and we’ll be content with that.

Thanks, very interesting! So y'all were doing Thanksgiving long before us.

I've always thought of our Pilgrim story as more myth than truth, but just enough truth for it to hang on. The truth of our Thanksgiving was that it was first declared as a holiday by Abraham Lincoln for the Union victory at Gettysburg... Only later did the Pilgrim story get force fit into it. A brilliant act of political propaganda. However I have to say I appreciate the turkey and pies!

That's really interesting Pinks... thanks for that. I didn't know this at all.. another new thing learned today.. (y)

What many people might not realise, and that includes some Brits, is that the Uk also has a thanksgiving .. although it's not celebrated as a holiday....but of course on the Sunday of the Harvest Moon churchgoers gather to collect the harvest to give alms to the poor.. so even when we were kids at Sunday school we would take offers of food, fresh or even canned to give up for the harvest for the poor...

from wicki...
The Harvest Festival of Thanksgiving does not have an official date in the United Kingdom; however, it is traditionally held on or near the Sunday of the harvest moon that occurs closest to the autumnal equinox. Harvest Thanksgiving in Britain also has pre-Christian roots when the Saxons would offer the first sheaf of barley, oats, or wheat to fertility gods. When the harvest was finally collected, communities would come together for a harvest supper.[55] When Christianity arrived in Britain many traditions remained, and today the Harvest Festival is marked by churches and schools in late September/early October (same as Canada) with singing, praying and decorating with baskets of food and fruit to celebrate a successful harvest and to give thanks.[56] Collections of food are usually held which are then given to local charities which help the homeless and those in need.

Thanksgiving_Canada.jpg

Back