Can't Believe I'm A Grown Man and Never Opened Up An Avocado

drifter

After reading a thread on avocados I decided to buy one fir a salad. I was surprised how good they were. Can't believe I'm sixty-five years old and never prepared one. So good.
B74A25B9-CD5F-4714-B79A-4862EFE34EDE.jpeg

7CA85B4D-ACA2-4F68-A995-E6D67AF6DF79.jpeg
So good thought it might raise my blood sugar but guess it didn't.

Very little sugar/carbs in avocado - 10 gms in a whole one & most of the carbs are from fiber. It's mostly vitamins & healthy Omega 3 fats that actually clear arteries. I never make a salad without half an avocado.

Love avocado! I use it in so many different ways. Like @C'est Moi said, avocado toast is the bomb!!!! I saw that you had some salsa out...add a dab of it to the avocado schmear on top of the toast. I also love egg salad, but adding chopped avocado to it takes it to a whole new level! Sometimes I'll just pour a bit of olive oil to the hollow where the pit was, sprinkle the top with toast, and then dig in with a spoon, making sure I get a bit of the oil and the pepper with each spoonful. And of COURSE there's guacamole...so yummy. I make it very simple...just mashed avocado, some chopped up tomato and finely diced onion, and cilantro, with as much or as little seasoning as you want!

Drifter, welcome to the Avocado Fan Club.* I've always preferred the Hass (the small black one) over the larger smooth green one grown more in Florida but am growing to love the last one more because here in my Florida market the large one is twice the size and half the price. The Scot in me is showing.

*I made that up so don't ask where to join.

Loved them until I bought one at Krogers. Got food poisoning and thought I was going to die! It was from Mexico and never again will I eat one!
That's awful, Terry. I'll admit that I wash avocados (with soapy water 😊), then rinse them well before cutting. I'm weird about all produce these days unless I grew it in my back yard.

I always washed them well too. I let Kroger know and they said I was not the only one who had called about them. They said they got rid of that batch. Even so I don't want to try another one. I had bought two so I threw the other one away.

Loved them until I bought one at Krogers. Got food poisoning and thought I was going to die! It was from Mexico and never again will I eat one!
It's very difficult to pinpoint what food caused the problem because we don't eat just one food; we eat many different foods. And food poisoning can cause illness anywhere from 4 to 36 hours after tainted food is eaten.
I got food poisoning a few years ago & I was able to figure out what caused it only because I skipped breakfast & went out to lunch with friends. I was sick 5 hours later & that was the only food I could.....uh......recognize....when it.....reappeared. It was undigested.

Can't believe some of y'all have never had an avocado!! Y'all must not eat much Mexican food. Dave says the first time he encountered an avocado was in a salad, and he thought he'd eaten a bug. LOL!

Back