Central/Western NY state killer gets parole...killer was 13, victim 4

Marie5656

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Eric M. Smith, who was 13 when he killed a 4-year-old boy with a rock in western New York, has been granted parole, according to corrections officials.
Smith, now 41, appeared for the 11th time before the Board of Parole on October 5 and was granted release as early as Nov. 17, the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision said in an emailed statement Saturday.
Transcripts of the hearing were not immediately released.

Here is original story of murder

SMITH.jpg Robie.jpg

Yes, I do remember this one! How could you forget.

This kid is not right, to put it mildly. jmo
I wouldn't want him living next door to me.

I remember that case. A psychiatrist explained the mental illness he has that causes violent behavior. (I forgot what it was.) That particular illness is easily recognizable by one physical side effect - the way his ears are.
There is no cure for it & they're releasing him to cut costs of his upkeep - like all released criminals.

After spending nearly 30 years....most of his teen, and all of his adult years....in prison, will he be able to find a job...and if so, how will he interact with other people? All that prison time certainly would affect him, mentally, and likely make him unable to assimilate into normal society. I suspect that he will make the news again, in the future, when he "goes over the edge".

I read that he was abused and bullied as a child. That plus not having a fully developed conscience or sense of right and wrong could explain why he did what he did. He's been remorseful. I say give him a chance. Whether or not anyone will, that remains to be seen. He's undoubtedly going to have a hard time finding a job, although considering there's a worker shortage, that works in his favor. Maybe he can get a job as a trucker or something.

First, do I think this kid is likely to commit another similar crime when he's released- absolutely.

However, I also have another way of looking at these kinds of situations: whether Smith is released or remains incarcerated, he's still had (so far) 28 years more of his life than his victim ever had. And, in my opinion, that's reason enough to not give him 'a second chance,' as a news story said his sister worded it. Little Derrick didn't get a second chance, so why should he?

Back