Checking Out At A Grocery Store Yesterday- A First!

If the only option is self checkout, I have no problem going somewhere else to do my shopping. If a store employee offers to help you through the self checkout, is it truly self checkout then? I prefer to interact with a human cashier and will continue to do so for the duration of time I have left on this wonderful world. Don...

If the only option is self checkout, I have no problem going somewhere else to do my shopping. If a store employee offers to help you through the self checkout, is it truly self checkout then? I prefer to interact with a human cashier and will continue to do so for the duration of time I have left on this wonderful world. Don...
The only option I have sometimes is no self checkout and having to stand in line.
I will frequent the stores with self checkout because then I have an option.
Today. Two items. In and out. It depends on the person who is doing the shopping.
It's rare to see a store with only self checkout options.

Camper6, I suppose it comes down to personal choice, as so many things do. Choice is good and I'm glad we have them to choose from. Like some have implied, self checkout makes me feel like a pseudo employee without the pay or benefits, I'll pass but hold no ill will towards those that opt in :) . Don...

Self-serve checkout is fine if it’s just one or two items but I certainly don’t want to do it with more than four or five items it’s a big pain and I’m not being paid by the company to be a cashier. And I certainly don’t get a reduction in cost for my groceries LOL

Camper6, I suppose it comes down to personal choice, as so many things do. Choice is good and I'm glad we have them to choose from. Like some have implied, self checkout makes me feel like a pseudo employee without the pay or benefits, I'll pass but hold no ill will towards those that opt in :) . Don...
Ah what the heck some stores make you bag your own groceries but the price is good. I don't feel like an employee. I feel like I am doing myself a favor. All these new concepts are an experiment. If it doesn't work it will be gone. ATM machines are here to stay because they are available 24 hours a day.

I haven't had this happen at self checkout yet, but I do keep a close eye on everything scanned. A mistake is easier to spot when at self checkout than when a cashier is running the items through quickly and talking to you. Sometimes I feel like such a creep because I'm staring at the register when a cashier is checking me out rather than looking them in the eye.

Walmart is now a desirable store for me to shop since they installed the really good self checkouts. I grab a few things, self checkout immediately, and I'm out of the store quickly. I never thought I would enjoy shopping at Walmart!

I agree with those who don't like self checkout at Lowes or Home Depot. You can usually find a cashier at Lowes, but Home Depot tries to force you into using their self checkout. It's difficult with the type of merchandise they sell. I'll wait in line to have the cashier ring me out at these stores, but I'll go to Lowes before Home Depot simply because they have more cashiers.

I hate those self check out things! I haven't had that happen but I have needed help because an item wasn't scanning or something else went wrong. What makes it so bad is I only used the self scanner because I was in a hurry and it wound up taking up too much extra time.
If it's not scanning at the self checkout, then it won't scan at the cashier. And then the cashier has to phone someone to fix it. Bar codes are bar codes no matter where they are scanned.

I am scanning a bunch of yogurt cups @ 0.47 ea. and suddenly I see "Marinade $2.67". I did not buy any such item. I notified the person near the self checkout area and h cleared it. I have never seen that happen ever. This ever happen to anyone here?

No it's never happened to me. What did the self checkout overseer say about it? They're usually very helpful.

I try to only use self check out. Scan a few items, pop in my SouthWest card and I am gone! No waiting in line. No watching every item the person in front of you is getting. No chit chat with the counter or bagger...”oh, I’ve always want to try that brand, do you like them? Blablabla.

Im back in my car before you are halfway through the regular line.

I'm old AND close to "brain dead" as someone mentioned. I've only used the self-checkout twice, both times accompanied by one of my teen aged grand-daughters. Or I should say, my grand-daughter used the check-out while accompanied by me!!
Try it on your own. Don't let anyone help you. You will be amazed how quickly you catch on.
If you can post here, you can use a self check out.

If it's not scanning at the self checkout, then it won't scan at the cashier. And then the cashier has to phone someone to fix it. Bar codes are bar codes no matter where they are scanned.
Then the cashier will be the one fiddling with it...not me! I like that scenario better. In this instance, I had to go to the cashier and ask her to find the person who was supposed to be overseeing the self scanner...ergo the extra time.

Sale items are the worst. And I never pick up an item without a bar code. And there's always that 'it doesn't go on sale till tomorrow' explanation. Drives me crazy. Oh short trip by the way. My friend and I tip each other off about good bargains. Paper towels and toilet paper are always on sale never pay regular. And also don't believe the 'regular price' in ads on flyers.

I prefer self checkouts, and have since they first appeared, years ago. I can get out of a store much faster than those standing in the checker lines. I have never thought that using the self check is somehow letting a store take advantage of me, as expressed in some posts, here.

Back