Child Brings Raccoon Into The House; Reminded Me Of Me When I was His Age

I'm sure it's a family pet. The dog or cat aren't freaking out and that raccoon would be biting the piss out of the kid to get away.

Calling "Shenanigans" on this video.

That is not a racoon a child would find. That is a full grown racoon raised from infancy by humans. There was a boy in our neighborhood who found a baby racoon. He was allowed to keep it and raise it. He walked it around on a leash like a dog. I love animals but I never trusted it, never petted it. He appeared sweet but I knew how dangerous it could be if it chose to do so. It was a family pet. A racoon that size in the wild would do serious damage to humans or other animals.

I have over the years found baby animals, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, owls and blue birds in our yard. I don't have the training, skills to raise a wild animal from infancy. They were always placed in containment and taken to wildlife rescue, to be cared for until such time they could be released back to nature.

We should always try and help a living thing if we can. If it is a grown wild animal that is hurt, call your local animal control. Do not try to contain, put out some food and water nearby and wait for the professionals to remove. If you have a wild animal coming onto or living under a deck or shed on your property, contract animal control. They will come and set up traps to catch and remove it without hurting the animal. They will take it somewhere safe and release it. Do not put yourself or your pets at risk. A wild animal will respond like a wild animal.

Back