Choosing your battles, expert advice on relationships

Choosing which battles to fight in life is where most people fail in general.

Metaphorically speaking I'm a one shot one kill kind of person. Don't like dealing with the same issues over and over or want other issues to get out of control. Fighting a battle at the wrong time or under the wrong circumstances can make them worse. Which leads to another saying/ or factor-Timing is everything.

"It's easier to win an argument with an intelligent person than a stupid one!"

I learned this very early in my career. There was no sense in wasting time arguing with someone who was oblivious to how we got there, where we were, and where we needed to go. Spent well over half my career in a position that actually required confrontational situations. I was physically threatened many times. Worked through those situations strategically and as effectively as possible.
Our firm maintained 400 to 450 associates spread over 10 offices in 5 states. I was one of two with the firm who could do what I did, mainly due to my ability to handle confrontational issues on an almost daily basis.
In our 55 years of marriage, we've used "partnering" to make it work. We've hit some chuckholes and had some disagreements. We're human! However, never once has one of us cursed at the other, touched the other in anger, or refused to talk though any difficult times. It has worked.

p.s. Retired, now, for four going on five years... I sorta miss the challenges of "confrontational debate". I think the guys in my golf group may catch the brunt of that. :>)

A young woman who submitted the tech support message below (about her relationship with her new husband) presumably did it as a joke, though no one is entirely sure! :) ).
Then she got an unexpected reply from the tech support people, giving their love advice some say is hilarious or genius!

THE QUERY
Dear Tech Support,
Last year I upgraded from Boyfriend 5.0 to Husband 1.0 and noticed a distinct slowdown in overall system performance, particularly in the flower and jewelry apps, which operated flawlessly under Boyfriend 5.0. In addition, Husband 1.0 uninstalled some of my other apps, such as Romance 9.5 and Personal Attention 6.5, and then installed undesirable apps such as NBA 5.0, NFL 3.0 and Golf Clubs 4.1. Conversation 8.0 no longer runs and House cleaning 2.6 simply crashes the system. Please note that I have tried running Nagging 5.3 to fix these problems but to no avail. What can I do?
Signed, Desperate.

THE RESPONSE (that came weeks later out of the blue)
Dear Desperate,
First, keep in mind, Boyfriend 5.0 is an Entertainment Package, while Husband 1.0 is an operating system. Please enter the command: Ithoughtyoulovedme.HTML and try to download Tears 6.2. Also, install the Guilt 3.0 update. If that app works as designed, Husband 1.0 should then automatically run Jewelry 2.0 and Flowers 3.5. However, remember, overuse of the above application can cause Husband 1.0 to default to Grumpy Silence 2.5, Happy Hour 7.0, or Beer 6.1. Please note that Beer 6.1 will download the Snoring Loudly Beta version.
Whatever you do, DO NOT, under any circumstances, install Mother-In-Law 1.0 as it runs a virus in the background that will eventually seize control of all your system resources. In addition, please, do not attempt to re-install Boyfriend 5.0. That will crash Husband 1.0.
Husband 1.0 is a functional app, but it does have limited memory and cannot learn other new applications quickly. You might consider buying additional apps to improve memory and performance. Try Cooking 3.0.
Good Luck!! Tech Support.

Back