Christmas Cookie Recipes in Flour Sacks

I remember when it got to be near Christmas, Gold Medal and Betty Crocker would put little leaflets in ther bags of flour with unique recipes for holiday cookies. I still have what my mom saved. I like to look at them around this time of year. They are proibably about 60 years old and so fragile and brittle, they are in danger of falling apart. They look like they've been Scotch taped many a time.

recipes1.jpgrecipes2.jpgrecipes3.jpgrecipes4.jpg

My husband had that set too. He also has the ones with a lip on each side for pouring. Sometime during the teen years of our kids, one of each set mysteriously disappeared. They must of had to work extra hard to clean up those messes.

I remember when it got to be near Christmas, Gold Medal and Betty Crocker would put little leaflets in ther bags of flour with unique recipes for holiday cookies. I still have what my mom saved. I like to look at them around this time of year. They are proibably about 60 years old and so fragile and brittle, they are in danger of falling apart. They look like they've been Scotch taped many a time.

View attachment 137444View attachment 137445View attachment 137446View attachment 137447
I use to laminate old recipes that were becoming too brittle and fragile but now use those clear plastic sheets for the recipes I print from the Internet. Keeps them clean and protected.

I treasure a Jello recipe book my sister gave me many years ago. It is dated 1920. She bought it at a library book sale.

I recall those flour sacks with the recipes. They were always leaking flour, too! I used to put them in a plastic bag so the flour didn't get all over everything. Some great recipes, too!

I remember one such bowl of my moms... a pale green one, one of many that she had in pale green and white.

s-l1600.jpg

@debodun Those are amazing. A real treasure trove. Can you scan them to have another copy? I have seen scanned old recipes on Pinterest and they are so interesting to look at. They should be preserved.

Back