Cleveland Indians will become Cleveland Guardians

Paco Dennis

SF VIP
242NIIHJWBDL7BD5G63ZXGBUWA.jpg

Known as the Indians since 1915, Cleveland’s Major League Baseball team will be called Guardians.

The ballclub announced the name change Friday — effective at the end of the 2021 season — with a video on Twitter narrated by actor and team fan Tom Hanks. The decision ends months of internal discussions triggered by a national reckoning by institutions and teams to drop logos and names considered racist.

That is too bad, I just don't understand how the name was an insult or disrespectful.

I'd be happy if there was a big sports team called the "White Guys" or even the "Hokies" or "Gringos"... So long as they recruited all folks to the team. A basketball team of just Honkies, well probably wouldn't be very good. Did the Washington Generals ever beat the Globetrotters? LOL

It's a shame what sports has become. It's no wonder why the older guys are shying away from going to games. Some of the older guys are still glued to the TV for sports, but I am not one of them anymore. I don't see anything racist about the word "Indians."

This is just one way that politics is slowly destroying the old America and dividing the country. We have become the laughing stock of the world.

The Washington "Football Team" is still searching for a new "nickname" after decades of using "Redskins". Personally, if I were a Native American, I would be pleased to see some "recognition" of the race, instead of just trying to ignore those people.

The new name for the Washington Redskins is The Washington Wussies; same for Cleveland;
the Crazy Horse (which i like) will become, 'The Unknown Rider.'
We could put a mask on Crazy Horse and ask, 'Who is that masked man'?

Utter nonsense

Goggle tells me 14 teams have changed their logo in the last two years, most were college teams.

WHAT A CROCK

Last edited:
Our football team was the Red Devils. All of this is complete nonsense.!!
You might be missing the reason for dropping the name. A local school team was chastised for the use of the slogan B--- Devils. The emphasis was on "Devils"and the complainants were conservative Christian groups who decided that "devils" were to be defiled, not revered? Takes all kinds.

Meh, if Native Americans are offended, the name should be changed. It's just a name for craps sake.

At first I didn't like the name Guardians because it seemed like a dumb name, but it turns out that it was inspired by bridge sculptures in Cleveland. These are the Guardians of Traffic sculptures on the Hope Memorial Bridge (named for Bob Hope's father).

3fc6d416e76428e03279a146e2c2a321.jpg

It's an homage to when we used to do great things in the U.S.

Last edited:
242NIIHJWBDL7BD5G63ZXGBUWA.jpg

Known as the Indians since 1915, Cleveland’s Major League Baseball team will be called Guardians.

The ballclub announced the name change Friday — effective at the end of the 2021 season — with a video on Twitter narrated by actor and team fan Tom Hanks. The decision ends months of internal discussions triggered by a national reckoning by institutions and teams to drop logos and names considered racist.

I thought they were called the Red Sox.

Meh, if Native Americans are offended, the name should be changed. It's just a name for craps sake.

At first I didn't like the name Guardians because it seemed like a dumb name, but it turns out that it was inspired by bridge sculptures in Cleveland. These are the Guardians of Traffic sculptures on the Hope Memorial Bridge (named for Bob Hope's father).

3fc6d416e76428e03279a146e2c2a321.jpg

It's an homage to when we used to do great things in the U.S.
So, from offending Indians to offending Vietnam Veterans. OK, so Bob Hope's father wasn't Bob Hope, but it's close enough. And isn't the New York Yankees an insult to southerners?

That is too bad, I just don't understand how the name was an insult or disrespectful.
Indigenous Americans are not Indian, the word Indian came to be used because Christopher Columbus repeatedly expressed the mistaken belief that he had reached the shores of South Asia. Convinced he was correct, Columbus fostered the use of the term Indios, originally, a person from the Indus valley, to refer to the peoples of the so-called, New World.

I agree, but am not a Native American.

Do we have any Native Americans here? If so how do you feel about this? Probably more important than how we do.
..yes but in reality which seems to be ignored by these people who are so desperate to be politically correct are that there are ''real'' Indians too.. people who are from India, people born to Indian parents. Haven't they the right to have their nation used in the name of a sports team, has anyone asked them ?:rolleyes:

Back