cocoon?

Grampa Don

Yep, that's me
I found this stuck to a rag in my garage today. Anybody know what it is? The squares are one inch. I put it in a covered dish to see what comes out.

cooc1-small.jpg

cooc2-small.jpg

cooc3.jpg

Don

Last edited:
How big is the whole thing? I'm sure I'm wrong, but it looks like a wasp nest (but those are at least 3 inches long/wide). If you keep it in a covered dish, won't whatever is inside die from lack of oxygen?

Wow! That should be interesting to see what pops out.
Maybe a piece of screen wire over the top would work better and also put the container back in the area where you found it to duplicate the same temperature.
Keep us posted.

It's about one inch long. I'll make sure it has air. It is stuck tight to the cloth and it was inside my garage, so I don't think it is a seed pod. I did a google search on the images, but didn't turn up anything. I'm now thinking it might be some kind of spider egg. It will be fun to see what comes out.

Catlady -- Thanks for the tip. I'll try them. Oops, I tried the link and it said they are not accepting questions from California. ??? Are we on a black list?

Don

It's about one inch long. I'll make sure it has air. It is stuck tight to the cloth and it was inside my garage, so I don't think it is a seed pod. I did a google search on the images, but didn't turn up anything. I'm now thinking it might be some kind of spider egg. It will be fun to see what comes out.

Catlady -- Thanks for the tip. I'll try them. Oops, I tried the link and it said they are not accepting questions from California. ??? Are we on a black list?

Don

Sorry, Don, I asked for Arizona after I posted and it told me and it said there are no experts in Arizona. I know there is some app where you post the pics and it tells you, but can't find it for you.

I know well what a black widow nest looks like, they love to use my Desert Tortoise's burrow, nice and dark and cool in there. They don't bother her, she has crocodile skin. LOL

images

The last picture elicited this response from Google Images:
Net-winged insects
Image result
Description
The insect order Neuroptera, or net-winged insects, includes the lacewings, mantidflies, antlions, and their relatives. The order consists of some 6,000 species. Wikipedia

Scientific name: Neuroptera

@Judycat - You might be right, especially the ''spine'' looks the same.

I used to like Praying Mantis until I found out they can grab a hummingbird and eat it. EWWW! I love hummers and one visits my yard daily, he loves my yellow Chuparosa.

Back