COLA for 2023

Ken N Tx

MALE
On AARP>>
Next year could bring the biggest increase to Social Security benefits in four decades, with rising prices fueling forecasts of a nearly double-digit cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for 2023.
The inflation gauge used by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to set the annual COLA came in at 9.1 percent for July — the first of three months the agency uses to determine the final figure, slated to be announced in October. Any increase in benefits would take effect in January 2023.
“It’s not possible to be precise until we see the data for the next two months, but it’s probably safe to say at this point we can expect a COLA in the 8 to 10 percent range,” says David Certner, legislative counsel and director of legislative policy for government affairs at AARP. That would be the biggest increase since 1981, when the COLA was 11.2 percent.
Any estimates are preliminary; the actual COLA will depend on changes in consumer prices through the end of September. A 9 percent COLA would boost the average Social Security retirement benefit by about $150 a month in 2023.
“I think somewhere in the 9 percent range is probably a reasonable guess,” says Richard Johnson, director of the retirement policy program at the Urban Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based research organization.
Johnson notes that July’s inflation rate dipped slightly from June’s. “If that trend continues, we’re looking at about an 8.6 percent COLA, but it could be a little higher,” he says. “It’s hard to predict exactly how, in particular, energy prices are going to evolve over the next few months. I think that’s probably the big uncertainty.”
Economist Bill McBride, in his Calculated Risk blog, estimates a similar range of 8.5 percent to 9 percent. Josh Gordon, director of health policy for the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a nonpartisan fiscal policy think tank, predicted 9.9 percent “if things continue on trend” but says the COLA could be around 8.9 percent “if we had no more inflation for the rest of the year.”
The 2022 COLA of 5.9 percent increased the average retirement benefit by $92 a month. In 2021, payments grew by an average of $20 a month on the back of a 1.3 percent adjustment.
A rise in Medicare Part B premiums in 2023 would offset a portion of the COLA increase for Social Security recipients who have Medicare premiums deducted directly from their benefit payments (as is the case with about 70 percent of Part B enrollees). However, the 2023 Part B premium increase is expected to be smaller than this year’s record increase. Medicare typically reveals the following year’s premium prices in October, around the time the SSA announces the new COLA.

Last edited:
I read an article the other day that said it might be 10.5%. I highly doubt that it will be that much. According to The Motley Fool, the third quarter months are the determining factor. I believe and we'll know by the end of October. How COLAS are calculated:
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2019/03/09/a-step-by-step-of-how-social-securitys-cola-is-cal.aspx
It would require a CPI-W of 10.5% for at least one month. The highest was June at 9.8% and July's fell to 9.1%.
cola.jpg
Considering that the July CPI-W slipped -0.1% from June and a repeat or more is highly likely for August, the range of 8.6% to 9.0% is pointing more towards the lower end, or 8.6%.

I wish they'd lower the Medicare monthly premiums and year's deductible, instead. They ballooned last year.

Any mention of that raise going straight to Medicare?

You know how that always happens...
I had read around the time the projected COLA came out that we might actually get a reduction in Medicare due to the overinflated cost of an Alzheimer's drug we got saddled with. I think I posted about it. Now whether or not it just winds up offsetting a rise in premiums, I don't know. Here's another article more recent than the one I posted.
https://www.yahoo.com/video/medicare-part-b-premiums-could-145352263.html
@Harry Le Hermit @Kaila

For someone at the high end of monthly SS benefits as this guy, that is a significant increase though is offset by inflation in all ways. Would expect they will also upward adjust the maximum senior income levels without needing to pay any IRS or state taxes.

That is an excellent article, link in the post above by @OneEyedDiva
Thank you for that link!
The subject was exactly what I've been upset with and wondering about, but have not seen anything recently written regarding it, until that article which is dated August 1, 2022.

That is an excellent article, link in the post above by @OneEyedDiva
Thank you for that link!
The subject was exactly what I've been upset with and wondering about, but have not seen anything recently written regarding it, until that article which is dated August 1, 2022.
I'm glad you found the article helpful Kaila. Now lets hope that at the very least, it keeps our premiums from rising any further. But it sure would be nice to see them drop. :)

For someone at the high end of monthly SS benefits as this guy, that is a significant increase though is offset by inflation in all ways. Would expect they will also upward adjust the maximum senior income levels without needing to pay any IRS or state taxes.
Since the government first began taxing benefits, the level at which benefits become subject to these taxes has always been set at $25,000 for single tax filers or $32,000 for married joint filers.

What makes anyone think that any small or large increase is easier to live on? Those on disability have it hard enough.

Does anyone realize what the cost of anything really is? $20 can pay for 1 gal milk, loaf of bread, some fruit, maybe some meat just 1 time of going to the store for 1 month. Are they kidding?
We still have bills, we need clothes, if you own a car you need gas, if you need medicine and no room for entertainment. Everytime you turn around you're squeezing that almighty dollar and it's not easy.

What do you believe should be the increase cost given to each individual? Do you find yourself struggling even with the tiniest increase? What is your opinion on the subject as a whole?

One of the things I see here where I live is that when they give us a raise then our subsidized rent goes up. And if you are getting food stamps too, they go down. It feels like you are in the same spot as you were. Remember many people do not use that extra in their check for food. They use it for the increases elsewhere. Electric bills, gasoline, co-pays on medical and drugs, etc.

On AARP>>
Next year could bring the biggest increase to Social Security benefits in four decades, with rising prices fueling forecasts of a nearly double-digit cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for 2023.
The inflation gauge used by the Social Security Administration (SSA) to set the annual COLA came in at 9.1 percent for July — the first of three months the agency uses to determine the final figure, slated to be announced in October. Any increase in benefits would take effect in January 2023.
“It’s not possible to be precise until we see the data for the next two months, but it’s probably safe to say at this point we can expect a COLA in the 8 to 10 percent range,” says David Certner, legislative counsel and director of legislative policy for government affairs at AARP. That would be the biggest increase since 1981, when the COLA was 11.2 percent.
Any estimates are preliminary; the actual COLA will depend on changes in consumer prices through the end of September. A 9 percent COLA would boost the average Social Security retirement benefit by about $150 a month in 2023.
“I think somewhere in the 9 percent range is probably a reasonable guess,” says Richard Johnson, director of the retirement policy program at the Urban Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based research organization.
Johnson notes that July’s inflation rate dipped slightly from June’s. “If that trend continues, we’re looking at about an 8.6 percent COLA, but it could be a little higher,” he says. “It’s hard to predict exactly how, in particular, energy prices are going to evolve over the next few months. I think that’s probably the big uncertainty.”
Economist Bill McBride, in his Calculated Risk blog, estimates a similar range of 8.5 percent to 9 percent. Josh Gordon, director of health policy for the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a nonpartisan fiscal policy think tank, predicted 9.9 percent “if things continue on trend” but says the COLA could be around 8.9 percent “if we had no more inflation for the rest of the year.”
The 2022 COLA of 5.9 percent increased the average retirement benefit by $92 a month. In 2021, payments grew by an average of $20 a month on the back of a 1.3 percent adjustment.
A rise in Medicare Part B premiums in 2023 would offset a portion of the COLA increase for Social Security recipients who have Medicare premiums deducted directly from their benefit payments (as is the case with about 70 percent of Part B enrollees). However, the 2023 Part B premium increase is expected to be smaller than this year’s record increase. Medicare typically reveals the following year’s premium prices in October, around the time the SSA announces the new COLA.
If they raise the Medicare premium it becomes a moot point.
Our"big" increase for this year got pretty much eaten up by the big Medicare jump.

With this morning's release...
cola.jpg
The projection is based on -0.5% ~ +0.4% for September M/M, as well as a 7.9%~8.8% Y/Y. For reference, the CPI-W, slipped -0.2% from July and was 8.7% from last year.

The fall in gasoline index once again hid a lot of other "ills" in the index. We are almost half way through September and the gasoline index will still decrease, but not at the rate of the past two months. Meaning those other "ills" will be exposed. Other ills would include... nearly everything but gasoline, fuel oil, airline fares, and used cars.

As always, the impact of inflation is dependent on where you sit on the old income ladder.

That's my 5.92¢ worth (1982-84 = 2¢).

It happened early, but it is good news... Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
The standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B enrollees will be $164.90 for 2023, a decrease of $5.20 from $170.10 in 2022. The annual deductible for all Medicare Part B beneficiaries is $226 in 2023, a decrease of $7 from the annual deductible of $233 in 2022.
S.S. is likely 8.7%~8.8% Unfortunately the 8.8% is looking increasingly likely, due to inflationary pressures beginning to spread.

Tomorrow brings the C.O.L.A. adjustment.
Not to late for a prediction and here is mine...
cola.jpg
Given how September played out, an 8.8% number is not out of the question and very likely. Inflation is not really easing and today's PPI is near proof positive that sticky prices are stuck for core, with food and energy on the uptick.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

Any mention of that raise going straight to Medicare?

You know how that always happens...
A few months ago there was talk of a lower Medicare premium due to the adjustment for the new Alzheimer's drug that was priced lower than expected. This is what I read today...our basic premiums will be lowered from $170.10 to $164.90. @Kaila @Harry Le Hermit
https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-s...s-2023-medicare-part-d-income-related-monthly
Also Harry, in articles I read today from a couple of different sources, the prediction is 8.7%. We should find out soon, if not tomorrow when it's slated to be announced...by Friday 10/14.

I’m in the same boat as Brookswood as far as IRA is concerned. I thought I had planned my retirement with a “cushion”. Kind of looking at a bed of nails instead. My thinking fluctuates between “Where did I go wrong?” and “How dare they do this to us?”
My rent increase in Jan 2022 was higher than the SS increase. Will probably get another rent increase for 2023.

Back